Chapter 29 - Cauldron Cupboard

Start from the beginning

"You know I can give you more than he can" he said, lowly. He suddenly looked unsure of himself. He usually spoke with such conviction but this message came with a waver at the end of his voice.

I couldn't help but stare back at him in shock, what was he even saying? He had been the one who made it clear to me he had no affection or time for me. That all of this had been a silly power trip for his own bruised ego. It enraged me that there was a time when I might have even considered what he was saying, but that was certainly gone.

"What do you want Draco, Hmm? Do you want to be with me, is that what this is? Do you want to be my boyfriend and hold my hand in the halls?" I chuckled, wickedly. I knew this was just something he said, one of his bizarre musings about how he could stake a claim on me because I was a pure blood and so was he.

But I watched as his face twisted in discomfort. There was no quick witted response or evil scoff. He looped his finger through his tie, as if to loosen it to ease a difficulty breathing. His eyes darted across my body and then our surroundings until finally he walked back off down the corridor. I watched as he left in such a hurry and I was frozen in place at a sight I had never seen before. Draco Malfoy running away from me.

I spent the rest of the day in our dorm, studying mindlessly for any subject I had possession of a textbook for. Anything to distract my mind from the hurtful images of Fred and Alicia that forced themselves to the forefront of my brain. Daphne had come upstairs after sometime, telling me that Blaise had eventually come to the common room with the rest of the Slytherins who'd joined the Inquistorial Squad and she couldn't bare to look at them anymore. I saw a glint of pain in her eyes when she spoke about him but I knew it was for the best that they were no longer spending time together.

"I'm going for a walk" I suddenly announced, dropping my quill onto the parchment.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Daphne asked, looking up from her book and I shook my head. I needed time to be with my thoughts and I assumed she did too, so I swiftly pulled on some warm clothing and was out of the door.

It was past curfew and that was getting stricter as the days went on but I always knew which part of the school to go to. Nobody ever seemed to be on the seventh floor.

I dragged my feet up there, having to hide myself every so often when a prefect reared their head. Once I got up there, I knew it would desolate. I stepped up and walked the long arched corridor, stopping to take in the view of the grounds.

It had been deathly silent until in the distance I heard a faint sound of whizzing and banging. As though fireworks were being set off somewhere far away. I couldn't ignore it and turned the corner to see Fred and George throwing something up in there to let it pop and fall to the ground. It sounded just like a firework, only fainter.

They were so caught up in their game they didn't see me watching. As Fred's smile lit up under the brilliant colours of the fireworks, I felt my chest ease. I was overjoyed to see him messing around and having fun as he usually did.

"What on earth are you two doing?" I whispered, hurrying towards them.

They looked up from what they were doing and Fred smiled at me cheekily.

"Watch this" he said, letting off another tiny firework that shimmered and sparkled with only the slightest crackling sound, "we've almost got it!"

"Almost got what?" I asked, staring back at them both.

"We're experimenting with silent fireworks you see. Miniature ones you can let off in your home, that won't upset your dog or your nan" George explained.