22|Maelstrom

I ended up sleeping in the water last night because the reapers were extra vigilant looking for the animal that was disrupting peace. My skin was all wrinkled up in the morning and I immediately regretted all the decisions I'd made.

"Oh cheer up and let's go talk to Oliver,"Circe groans.

"I thought you said you were gonna handle it."

"Yeah but you have to be there at least... and make sure you look pathetic so he can consider following you." Wow. "Now let's get going,"she demands and places her hat on her head.

"Right now?"I groan. "Yes, you're probably leaving immediately after breakfast."

"Why can't you just follow me to this underwater place?"

"Because someone has to be in the cabin, and I'm also covering for you."

"Whatever," I mutter and reluctantly get to my feet. We exit the cabin, heading to Nebuthals. "So how was your date with Namiko?" she smirks. "You still haven't put it in detail for me."

I roll my eyes and cross my arms over my chest. "What was the stupid surprise you had waiting for her at the lake?"

"Nothing," she chuckles. "I knew both of you would end up in the water... and good things start to happen when you're in water... or didn't good things happen?" she smirks.

"Shut up... the only good thing that happened was her agreeing to follow me to her home... nothing else."

"What's flaring you up?" she asks. "Nothing... I'm just acting this way cause I didn't sleep well last night."

We eventually make it to Nebuthal and get to Oliver's cabin. "Stand behind me... and remember to look pathetic." She knocks on the door and we wait for a reply. After ten seconds the door slowly creaks open and we meet Oliver standing at the threshold. He looks like he's going through tough times. His hair is messy and there are huge bags underneath his eyes. From where I'm standing I have a clear of view of his waste bin and it's filled with empty cans of energy drinks. What is this guy up to?

"What is it?"he asks gruffly.

"Hey Oliver... it's been a while... how are you?"she chimes.

He stares at her blankly like he didn't hear anything she just said. "Okay I'm guessing you're not-"

"Can you get to the point?"

"Oh... okay then,"she mutters. "So the thing is... you know Penny's been trying to find some books to help her get back home..."

His eyes start to linger and they immediately land on me. I tear my eyes away from his gaze and start fiddling around with the hem of my shirt.

"Uh-huh,"he replies Circe.

"So we need your help... the destination is this underwater kingdom and it would be really nice to have someone else there just in case something goes wrong."

"Sorry... I'm busy,"he states and slams the door. Circe gasps and turns to me. "Did he just lie to my face?"

"I told you he wasn't going to come."

"I'm not giving up that easily." She bangs on the door and waits with her arms crossed. "Maybe we shouldn't-"

The door swings open and he pops up looking furious. "I literally just told you I don't wanna go!"

"So just because Penny got you a bit mad, you're gonna abandon her when she needs you the most? You didn't even bother going to see how she was after the other day's incident... and you can't tell me you didn't hear about it because it was the talk of the camp." It was?