Is It What It Seems? Chapter 3

P.O.V. Raylynn

I looked at Radley Pines, the boy that I had a crush on for almost two years now. He was crouched down besides me, his eyes locked onto mine and I started to memorize every part of him. I started by looking at his hair, it was a pale brown and about ever one out of five strands of hair looked like they were dipped in gold, they shined and glowed through his other hair almost asking for attention. His face had amazing peaked cheekbones, his skin slides down his cheek bones to his perfectly symmetrical chin. His dark blue eyes, that makes you feel like your drowning In the ocean at night eveeytime you look In them, popped against his slightly bronzed skin. His shoulders were broad and his waist slim, every other girl in my high school had a crush on him. It helped that his teeth were brighter then a polished diamond, and that his looks along with his good child/student personality made even boys flock.

"-you crying?" Radley had asked me something and I was to consumed in my wild thoughts to notice!

"Umm... I'm sorry c-could you repeat that?" Oh stupid me! Why did I stutter it is only the most wanted boy in my school....oh jeez.

"I said um why are you are crying? Especially on the swings behind a... Umm Abandoned church?"

Every inch of my body twitched when my mind wondered to the thought of what I had just experienced. I felt my eyes burn, they must be tired of the salty water droplets flooding them. I didn't know how to respond, and I didn't need people to know about my personal problems.

"Oh well... I just saw a girl walking around with a red Louis Vuitton bag while wearing a yellow Juicy tracksuit...so yeah I was hurt by the fashion sense of the women." I knew since I was looked at in school to be very rich and snobby that this lie must be believable....hopefully.

"Wow." Radley sounded not shocked, but more sarcastic. That bothered me a little, I was rotting away and he sarcastically dissed my lie?! I calmed down reminding myself he has no idea about what had happened.

"Yes, hehe." I needed to play this off. Maybe if I talk to Radley it will take my mind off things.

"So what your saying is, you were crying because you say a girl lazily walking by without a care only to be judged by a rich bitch without her even knowing."

I almost dropped dead right there, I felt the pile of my hearts pieces spread so far away that I lost all hope of being put back together. Not only did my soul run away, but the picture of Radley being a nice person shattered as well. I felt my heart get grabbed once more, but I grabbed back and I swear if it wasn't a figurative statemeant the hand would have broke. My face burnt not with my tears, but with anger. The anger of my father leaving, my mother not being faithful, and Radley harshly pushing me farther into the darkness, now all of it boiled over the pot. Just when I was about to spill out everything I felt my dry and burning eyes let out more tears. In my blurred vision I see Radley freeze, and watch as his face flushes in concern.

"I'm s-sorry, I lied. Okay? I lied I am not crying because of a fashion statement or dust or allergies!" I almost screamed at him. I hear him shuffle his weight and feel him place a hand on my shoulder and stand up.

"Come on." He said it with such a cold voice that I could not help but shiver. I only shake my head no and looked down. I feel his hand grip around my arm and pull me up, I just look at him and glare.

"I will bring you home where do you leave? If you stay out here you will catch a cold." His voice giving a demanding feeling, but all I thought about is how I can't go home. I try to pull my arm away, but he only tugged me to the car.

While in his car driving me home I only glared and gave a few pouts. Only to receive a look back, when we pulled into my driveway I only let out a shakey sign. I slowly stepped out of the car and walked to the house a little wobbly. I knocked on the door and heard running footsteps to the door and the door swung open.

"Laine?!" I only look down a shake my head no.

"Where were you?! Did you want to be an ass like your sister?" I only glared at her after hearing what she said about my sister after knowing what she had done to our family. I heard skin slapping skin and felt a sting in my left cheek. My head turned to the right on impact, I only felt my tears build up again.

P.O.V. Radley

I drove past the old church on the way to my house when I saw Raylynn Twine on the swings. She didn't look so good. I have seen her in school and heard a few boys talk about her, but I never paid attention to her. I know she usually looks at me with eyes of love, so when I saw her crying it worried me a bit. She lied about why she had been crying, so I thought I could give her a bit of a surprise and make her feel bad for lying. After she apologized and cried some more I decided to forgive her, but it was obvious she didn't want to go home. I couldn't just leave her in the cold so I wanted to give her a ride. I regretted my decision when I saw her get slapped by her mom, I didn't want to see her get yell at anymore so I decided to act on a whim. Which explains why I have a depressed rich girl in my car. Again. While driving to my apartment.

We arrive at my apartment building, Pear Meadows, as walk her to my room on the second floor.

"Um earlier I'm sorry, you didn't want to go home. I don't know why I didn't listen to you." I try to not sound harsh, but I get mad at the way I acted before.

"It's fine. I have to go home though or she will be mad or go mad." She sounded emotionless and empty while looking down at the floor.

"Just stay until tomorrow then okay?" I watch her, waiting for a response. She gave a sigh and a nod. I led her to my bed.

"I will sleep on the couch okay?" I hand her one of my shirts to sleep in and pat her head, I run my hand down her head to her shoulder and give her a small smile.

"T-thank you." I see her smile and I blush a little feeling my heart skip a beat.

"Good night."

P.O.V. Raylynn

After my mother slapped me, I heard a cough from behind me. I turned around to see Radley, he looked even angrier then when I lied to him.

"Excuse me, but can you not touch her like that." Radley sounded like he was having a hard time controlling his voice, but I could see he surprised my mother.

"And who are you? Ray did you go and tell people about what is happening?!" I can hear the tears threatening to roll down my mother's swollen cheeks. So I just shook my head no and looked down. I heard a slam of a door and felt the wind blow my hair back from my face. I look up to see my mother had shut the door in my face.

"If you wanted to run away like your sister then leave!" I just stood there shaking and felt a hot tear glide down my cheek and drop off my chin. I heard Radley shuffle his feet and carefully guide me to his car again.

"You shouldn't get involved, she was just hurt, she was gonna calm down." I heard my own voice fall as if it to had given up.

"It didn't look as if she was gonna calm down" I can hear the growl in his voice and I flinched a little. He must have noticed because he sounded more caring when he spoke again.

"I'm sorry, your right I was out of place. But I can not just watch you get hurt."

I sigh and lean my head against the window and close my eyes. I feel my lips quiver and I let out a shakey sigh and begin to quietly sob.

When we park in the parking lot I just follow him. I was a few steps behind him the whole way. I wipes my tears and quickly walk with him up the stairs and to his room. When I step into his room he apologizes again, and I calm down a little more. I take in his apartment like I memorized him earlier. It was a creamy tan color on the walls with a few pictures of him and family I guessed. He had a counter top, but no dining room table and a smaller kitchen. There was two other doors I guessed a room and a bathroom. He had a 40 inch television and a dark brown couch large enough for four people. His whole floor was a dark hardwood.

" you can sleep in my room I will sleep on the couch."  I tried to protest and go home but I ended up standing in his room with a big shirt. While smiling at him about to go to bed. He said goodnight and left, I thought that he was blushing, but I got that idea out of my mind. I changed and went to bed, I closed my eyes and let the rest of my tears fall. I slowly went to bed and hoped I would wake up in my own bed to my smiling family like I had this morning.