🦁 Chapter One 🦁

Start from the beginning

"I love you too."

We both hang up and I rolled my neck to get the knots out. That's what driving for more than five hours straight did to you.

I was very grateful to my sister Marini because of how much she had sacrificed to take care of me and Amani. We did not make it easy on her after losing our parents at such a young age but she still stuck by us. She had made sure we were fed, went to school and always had a roof over our heads with clothes to wear. At the beginning it was a little hard but we made do with the money we had inherited from our parents.

When Marini started her company and it picked up quick our lives became much better. We weren't spoilt but we lived luxuriously from then on. I had my career in Agro-Chemistry and since I didn't want to be employed by some factory to make pesticides, I applied to different NGOs that allowed me to travel the world while helping people improve their cultivation methods. I had graduated at twenty, worked with others for two years before traveling on my own for two years and it had been a wise decision.

Feeling frustrated that my first project was starting to backslide already I called my head engineer to give him and earful.

"Before you start complaining it wasn't my fault."Rashid defended himself before I could even talk since he knew what my call meant.

"Then who's was it? "I gritted out.

The plan was that I get there early, the supplies for the community like foodstuffs would arrive the day after I did and the crew a day after together with all the equipment we needed to start the work immediately. I knew that wasting even a single day would be a setback.

"Mixed up orders. We'll fix it, I promise and get ahead of this. The crew and I will be there day after tomorrow so we can start mapping everything out. Don't worry things will still go according to plan."He promised.

"It had better Rashid or it will be your ass on the line."I threatened.

"I thought Christians weren't supposed to cuss. "He teased.

"And I thought Muslims weren't allowed to lie."I retorted and I knew I had gotten him back for his not so funny comment.

"See you soon boss."He rushed out quickly and I hang up not wanting to talk to him anymore.

I'd worked with Rashid before and he was good at what he did but sometimes he needed a little push in the right direction to get back on track.

Feeling chapped I reached for my water bottle but it was empty, good thing I had a few more bottles in the back seat. With one hand on the wheel I used my free hand to reach out for one. Coming up empty I saw that the road was clear and smooth so I slowed down a little and looked back to find the bottles. They had fallen to the floor of the car so I bent over for one. Grasping one in my hand I straightened up and turned my attention back to the road. I saw it too late and even though I swerved to avoid hitting it, I still did with my bumper. The water bottle I was holding fell on the passenger seat and I slammed on the brakes quickly. Since I wasn't going too fast I didn't skid but stopped in the middle of the road.

I quickly got out of the car and rushed to its side. I had hit a lion cub. It was lying on the side of the road and I quickly checked to see if it was alive. I didn't know where a lion's pulse was checked but when I nudged it with my finger it moved it's leg so I knew it was still alive. I breathed a sigh of relief knowing I had not killed it but I had definitely injured it since it was not moving.

I looked around for the lioness but there was nothing on either side of the road but dry land, shrubs and a giraffe chewing on some baobab leaves in the distance. I knew I needed to get it help but what if I separated him from his family. I still couldn't leave him like that so what was I to do. I got off my knees and dusted them off straightening my black dungaree shorts.