f o r t y f o u r

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"Yeah. That's him." Jase nodded.

"He's got a pretty face." Kyle smiled coyly.

Jase cleared his throat. "We're here to see the Princess." he informed the guards, ignoring Kyle's remark.

One guard knocked on the door and opened it. He slipped in momentarily to inform their arrival and then let the boys inside.

"My little baby bear! How are you feeling now?" Jase exclaimed as they entered.

"Much better now that you're here." Elina laughed. Jase placed his hand on his chest.

"You make my heart stutter. I have taught you well. But damn girl, you've seen better days."

Kyle took a moment to look around the room with a king-sized canopy bed in the middle of the room, richly laden with embroidered silk sheets and the crystal chandelier that hung from the high ceiling. He spotted three different doors that led somewhere beyond the room and a lavish balcony. Opposite the bed lay the dressing table with a large vanity mirror. Candlesticks placed in their brass stands stood out from the walls at various interjections. Kyle grew slightly conscious of the soft red carpet that lined the cold stone floor and briefly wondered if he must remove his shoes in order to not dirty the carpet. Then he locked gazes with a pair of forest green eyes.

"Hailey didn't you say you were thirsty earlier? I'm afraid I drank all the water in the room." Elina said. "You could check up on Julian and get my brother some food too while you're at it. I'm sure he's hungry. Aren't you Kyle?"

"Y-yeah, I'd like that." Kyle stuttered. His cheeks flushed pink, having all the attention turned to him. "Lead the way." He told the girl in question.

"I'll be back later to change your bandages. Jase don't stay for long. She needs some sleep for her body to heal."

"Yes, mother dearest. Now go along, I need some alone time with my princess." He shooed her away.

"I'll be sure to inform Aiden and Julian to not disturb your little rendezvous." Hailey called and heard Elina laughing just as he pushed her and Kyle out of the room and shut the door behind them.

"Follow me." She told Kyle and started walking. Kyle glanced at the closed door and jogged to catch up with her.

"I'm not really hungry." He blurted out. Hailey smiled to herself.

"I want to show you something." She said.

As they walked, Hailey felt his fingers brush against her own. She tried to focus her attention on the scenery outside the windows to avoid Kyle from noticing the flush on her cheeks.

'Stop behaving like a high school girl.' She chided herself.

They reached a set of glass doors secured by two guards. They opened the doors as Hailey and Kyle arrived. Kyle didn't miss the curious glances passed his way but instead took the time to observe his surroundings.

Hailey had brought him to the palace gardens. The air smelled sweet and fragrant because of the rose shrubs that covered the area around them in a blanket. Butterflies and tiny birds stood perched on dainty stems, getting their fill of the sweet nectar.

"Come on." Hailey urged him on.

He saw her walk to the ivy covered wall and push a few creepers aside. She placed one hand on the bricks and Kyle saw a flash of white light. Sure enough, the mirror-like door opened through the brick wall. Hailey removed her sandals and held them in one hand. The other she offered to Kyle.

Kyle quickly followed suit by removing his converse. His heart beat in anticipation as he clasped hands with Hailey. He waited for the strange feeling in his stomach that he had felt when he went through the portal before but felt nothing.