one

"Mom, seriously. Don't worry about me. I'm gonna be fine." I said for what felt like the millionth time as we stood at the airport attempting to say our goodbyes.

"I know, I know. I'm just a concerned mother is all. It's going to be a while before I get to see you again, and I want to make sure you're going to be alright." My mother said.

"Mom, I'm 16. I think I can manage to take care of myself for a few months." I tried not to let the annoyance seep through my voice.

"Okay, okay. You're right." My mother responded. "I'll see you in exactly three months."

"Three months," I smiled. "I love you."

"I love you too, sweetie." My mother said as she wrapped me into a big hug.

I was flying to Sydney, Australia. My mother was given a new job promotion there, but she still had a few loose ends to tie up before she could move. So she was sending me on ahead of her. This was about to be a big change for me. I had never left my home country of America, heck, I had barely left my hometown. And yet here I was, moving to the other side of the world.

I heard my flight called out through the crowds of people. I gave my mom a quick kiss on the cheek and headed towards my gate. In a few long hours, I would be starting my new life on a new continent.