nine

I stared at the spot in front of the door where Luke had been in disbelief. I couldn't hold back the tears anymore. I brought my hands up to cover my face and sunk down to the ground. The tears were freely flowing now, and my sobs became audible. I had forgotten that Michael was still in the room until I felt his arms wrap around me. I leaned into him and let him hold me tighter.

We stayed like that for while, I'm not exactly sure how long, and didn't speak. It was just comforting to have someone there for me while I cried.

Eventually I pulled away and wiped my tears with the back of my hand. "I'm sorry, Michael." I said through little gasps. I was still trying to get my breathing back under control.

"For what? It's not your fault." Michael looked at me with a sincere look on his face.

"I don't know...crying I guess." I actually wasn't sure what I was apologizing for.

"You're reacting like any normal teenage girl. It's okay. If I were you, I would've punched that asshole right then. It's probably best that you don't take my advice." Michael's last sentence made me a giggle a little.

"I wanted to punch him. I'm angry at him, but I'm also mad at myself for being so stupid. How could I have been dumb enough to think that he really liked me?" I felt tears starting to prick behind my eyes again.

"You're not stupid." Michael shook his head. "There's no way you could've known. Now look at me." I brought my eyes up reluctantly to meet his. "I know that I barely know you, but I can already tell that you're amazing. You're funny, smart, and beautiful. Luke is stupid for thinking that he could get away with this whole thing. He just lost a really special girl." Michael gave me a reassuring smile.

"Thank you, Michael." I smiled and repositioned myself so that my head was leaning against his chest. Then we sat in comfortable silence.

Michael really wasn't a bad guy despite what Luke had said about him. But then again, why should I trust anything that came out of him mouth? He was a obviously a liar. Sure, Michael looked like a punk, but looks don't define people. Underneath the tattoos, piercings, and colorful hair, he really seemed like a genuine guy. I still had a few concerns with him though, of course. I mean, he had to have stalked me to find out where I lived. Then he just barged right into my house and started kissing me. Which, I guess, I didn't really mind so much, but then we almost had sex. That was the part that bothered me the most. Michael was really attractive, but I barely knew him. I wasn't ready to give up my virginity that easily.

That was the thing that I had to keep telling myself. I didn't want to fall for him as easily as I fell for Luke. I wanted to make sure that Michael had good intentions. I didn't want to be just another girl that he slept with and threw away the next day. I had the feeling that was part of his bad reputation. Then there was also all the trouble that he's been in. I wasn't sure if that was something that I wanted to get involved in.

"What are you thinking about?" Michael asked, interrupting my thoughts.

I wasn't sure how to respond. "Um, what kind of trouble was it that you have gotten into?" I asked nervously. I figured that I may as well just get to the point.

"That's a story for another day." Michael smirked.

His signature smirk was back. I didn't want to admit it, but that smirk gave me butterflies every time I saw it. Don't fall for him. Don't fall for him. I had to keep reminding myself.

"How about we go somewhere a little more comfortable?" Michael asked.

"Huh?" I asked with noticeable worry in my voice. My mind was still racing with the thoughts of Michael's possible intentions. I was afraid that he meant something slightly else.

"I asked if you wanted to move somewhere else. The floor is starting to get pretty uncomfortable." Michael said stretching his back. "Is everything alright? You seem a little...tense." He asked as an afterthought.

"Oh, yeah, I'm fine." I said quickly standing to my feet. "Let's watch a movie or something."