eleven

"You didn't tell me that you played the guitar and sang." I asked after our orders had been taken at the small diner.

"Yeah, it's something that I picked up on a few years ago. I used it as an escape, I guess." Michael looked down and started playing with his finger nails. He had told me a little bit about his not-so-great home life in a previous conversation.

"Well, you're really good." I blushed.

"Thanks, princess." Michael smirked.

Gosh. That smirk.

"I'm just gonna go ahead and assume that you play the guitar too, considering I was playing the one that was sitting in your room." Michael spoke.

"Yeah, but I'm not very good." I looked down and tried to seem more interested in a rip in my shorts.

"I want to hear you play sometime. I bet you're a lot better than you give yourself credit for." Michael gave a warm, reassuring smile.

Our food arrived, and we quickly dug in, only making conversation on a few rare occasions.

After we had finished eating, we stayed at the booth sipping on our coffees, telling lame jokes, and laughing.

I heard the bell chime by the door signaling that someone had entered. It was fairly empty in the diner, so naturally I looked up to see who had just came in.

It was Luke.

I immediately became tense. Michael noticed the change in my demeanor and followed my eyes to where my gaze had landed. I tried to hide behind my hair in hopes that he wouldn't see me.

It didn't work.

I tried to look away, but something prevented me from doing so.

It was the look in Luke's eyes.

It was one that I couldn't put a finger on. It looked like anger, hurt, and sadness all rolled into one. It made me want to hide away.

"Alyx, let's go." An obstacle had moved in the way of my stare. That obstacle, of course was Michael.

I was too stunned to speak, so I just nodded my head and let Michael lead me out of the diner.

My emotions were all over the place. I wasn't sure if I wanted to cry, punch something, or run back in there and hug Luke.

None of those were exactly at the top of my "to do" list though.

I tried to let my mind go blank and absorb into the song that was playing on Michael's car's radio.

-

A few hours later, I sat in my room reading a book. A lot of people thought I was weird since I actually enjoyed reading, but reading was an escape for me. When I read a book, I completely engrossed myself into it. I imagined myself as the main character. I entered a new world with a new identity. I could forget about reality for just a little while.

Pretty soon hours had passed, and I didn't even know it. I had only snapped back into reality because I heard my phone going off on my desk. Somebody was texting me...a lot. I just assumed it was either Michael or my mom.

Luke: alyx?
Luke: can we please talk?
Luke: let me explain
Luke: please
Luke: can I come over?
Luke: or call you?
Luke: PLEASE ANSWER YOUR PHONE ALYX

I sighed. I really didn't want to talk to him. But then again, I did.

I contemplated texting him back for probably 10 minutes.