Chapter 11: Timing

Mulai dari awal

Paul's hand brushed against mine, grounding me, giving me a little jolt of reassurance. I can do this. Derek doesn't have the power to make me feel unworthy or foolish. I'm Stiles Stilinski, emissary of the Hale-McCall pack, soon to be successful criminal analyst. Not to mention the fact that an extremely attractive man to my right is giving me his undivided attention. I deserve that, not what Derek was giving me.

"Stiles I'm-," Derek started to say in a pleading voice. I raised a hand to silence him.

"It's forgotten- we're moving on," I said in a neutral tone.

"But I-," he tried again. I silenced him with a look this time. "I suppose I deserve that," he nodded, frowning slightly.

I got into the car wordlessly, and Paul slid in after me. I realized we were short one person when Scott got in the passenger seat.

"Where's Jared?" I asked.

"He went for a run. He knows when he needs to make himself scarce," Paul smiled at me.

"I'm liking him more and more," I chuckled.

"Really? Usually people have a hard time with him... mostly because he's a sarcastic asshole," He laughed.

"That's precisely the reason I like him," I winked. "Us sarcastic assholes need to stick together." He laughed, bumping my shoulder playfully.

But he didn't move away, instead leaning against my side casually. I wasn't complaining, not even when his hand came to rest against my thigh. Again, butterflies exploded dramatically and my heart started its mile a minute marathon. I bit my lip to keep myself from smiling at the contact. I could feel Derek's eyes on me in the rear view mirror, but I didn't care. Take it all in Der-Bear, I thought smugly. But the way Paul made me feel wasn't something my body was conjuring up to make Derek jealous, even if I'd like to believe it was. The guys presence and touch alone was enough to drive me crazy.

"Take us to Sam's please," I said to Derek without looking at him.

"I thought you wanted to see Second Beach?" Derek questioned.

This time I met his eyes. "I do," I stated simply.

"I think that would be a great place for a first date... if you'll have me?" Paul asked, smiling shyly at me. I couldn't help the large smile that broke out across my face.

"I would love that," I responded excitedly.

"Awesome! I'll pick you up tomorrow morning?" He asked, with a hint of uncertainty.

"Ooh, an all day date? Even better!" I winked at him. "Do I need to bring anything?"

"I'm the one that asked you out, I've got it covered. All you need to bring is your beautiful self," he smirked, his eyes trailing down my body.

My cheeks flushed crimson and I held back the school girl giggle that wanted to escape. I have a date with a hot werewolf tomorrow. Eeeekk! Okay I'm done.

Just then we pulled up in front of Sam's place, and on looking in we could see most of the pack was present. Excellent. No opportunities for Derek to corner me. The motel tonight would be another story entirely, but I pushed the thought away.

"Hey!" Jake said excitedly. "You guys down for a beach bonfire tonight?"

"Tonight works for them... but Paul and Stiles are busy tomorrow," Edward winked, eyeing the two of us suggestively.

"Not fair Dude!" Paul glared at the vampire.

"We have a date," I announced, wiggling my eyebrows.