27; no place like home

「and we would live againin the simplest of waysliving day after day」

and we would live again
in the simplest of ways
living day after day

billie eilish - the end of the world

h o n g j o o n g
mature

His fingers stroked against the wall, bumping over every little crack in the old yellow painting, while he dragged his body up the stairs. The air was the same thick and warm, suffocating one, with a hint of smoke - exactly like he remembered it.

The sun was dimmed by the dust on the windows, and the floor and staircase looked like it hadn't been washed or swept in ages. Hongjoong smiled to himself, everything was just like it had been before he left, and for once he didn't wish for more than to walk up the stairs in that old, rundown apartment complex.

"Gigi?"

His voice was shaking, as he called out for the taller. Mingi had to be home, the door was unlocked - something Hongjoong had told him not to do so many times. Living in a bad neighborhood like that, it wasn't exactly the safest thing to do. But this time, it made him smile, knowing that some things apparently never change.

The apartment looked the same as well, with a filled ashtray on the dining table, and dirty dishes by the sink. All the furniture were in the same spots as they used to, inside the small apartment.

"Joong?"

Mingi stepped out from his bedroom, rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand. He then looked confused at Hongjoong. His narrow eyes blinked a few times, and judging from his messy hair he had just woken up from a nap.

"Is it really you?"

Hongjoong couldn't hold his tears back any longer. He ran towards the taller and jumped into his arms. Snuggling his face against Mingi's neck, he sobbed loudly - but with a smile on his lips. Mingi reciprocated the hug, holding him tight in his strong arms.

"It is... I'm home, Gigi."

Resting his head against Mingi's chest, Hongjoong let go of a sigh - one so heavy that it felt like his body became so light he could simply float away.

"I-I thought you were mad at me..." Mingi then said with a hum that made his chest vibrate against Hongjoong's ear.

With a brow raised, Hongjoong slowly pulled away from the embrace, and he questioning at Mingi.

"What? Why would I be mad at you?"

"Because you sent me that text? Saying how you were sick of me holding you back from getting a good life, and that I shouldn't come look for you..." The taller was clearly still hurt by it, but he tried to play it cool with a shrug of his broad shoulders.

He then walked towards the old couch, that ugly worn-out piece of shitty furniture - which Hongjoong simply couldn't wait to sit on again. He carefully followed Mingi to sit down, and soon after both of them were blowing smoke into the air around them. Everything felt just like it was supposed to be.