Chapter 22 ~ Would You Just Let Me Explain?

Dedication: @BanexOfxYourxLife because she really deserves it, like really, really. Thank you so much! <3

______________________________

Chapter 22 ~ Would You Just Let Me Explain?

[Louis' POV]

"Yeah, maybe," I mumbled, looking down at my shoes.

I was sure Harry wouldn't forgive me, at least not yet for a while. What I had done was inexcusable. I mean, how could I be so heartless to leave someone I knew had feelings for me after I had just kissed them and tell them I regretted the whole thing? I would be so heartbroken.

And as if that wasn't enough, I had almost kissed him again. Sure, I probably wouldn't have regretted it that time since the reason I was about to apologize when he snapped at me was because he had rejected me, and not because I regretted almost kissing him. But still. I had leaned in by instinct and I didn't exactly trust my instincts. So maybe I would have hurt him anyway, even though I didn't want to.

Luke gave me a small smile. "What class do you have now? Maybe I could walk you there?"

I snapped out of my thoughts, looking over to where Harry was standing only seconds ago, only to see that he wasn't there any longer. Sighing heavily, I turned to Luke and nodded. "Sure. As long as you keep your hands in your pockets and stop trying to flirt with me."

He shook his head slowly. "Look Louis, I didn't mean to be so... forward. I just really like you, but if you don't want to be more than friends, then that's fine by me. I'm happy as long as I get to be in your proximity. So please, stop thinking I'll try to make a move on you because I won't. I promise," he said, looking me in the eyes, pleading for me to believe him.

And I actually did. His words seemed truthful, so I couldn't see a reason not to. However, if my instincts proved to be wrong, I wouldn't hesitate to tell him off again. There was no way I was going to accept him flirting with me, especially not if we were supposed to be friends.

We walked to my Math class together, talking about our interests and what music we were into. Luke was more into rock and punk while I was into pop, but it would be a lie to say I didn't enjoy listening to rock music at all because I did like it as well.

"Well, I guess I'll see you later, yeah?" He said once we arrived at the classroom.

"Yeah."

With that said, we separated and I stepped into the room I was dreading to be in today. I remembered what Harry said about switching seats yesterday and I didn't want it to happen. I liked sitting next to him, helping him whenever Mr. Olsen told me to do so, even though I hadn't wanted to admit it before.

Harry wasn't there yet, so I took my old seat and waited patiently for him to arrive. I looked over at Mr. Olsen, seeing him throw glances at the watch around his wrist every second, waiting for the bell to ring so he could start the lesson.

Only a few seconds before the bell rang, Harry made an entrance, his gaze wandering around the room. Meanwhile, I just sat in my seat, looking down at my books, silently hoping for him to have changed his mind. So when he eventually found an empty seat beside some guy in the back of the classroom, I could feel my heart sink in my chest. He didn't even so much as give me a glance when he walked by me to get there.

I bit the inside of my cheek, knowing I was the only one to blame for this. If I only had accepted my feelings earlier, he would've sat down beside me, and maybe even given me a small smile that would have made my heart melt. But now I hadn't, and I hated myself for it.