Chapter 23

Stiles walks into the school on Monday morning feeling a little tired and sad. Yesterday was another killing, but according to Danny, it wasn't a virgin. He knew the guy that got killed and assured them of that. They tried consoling Danny, but he only wanted to find the killer. The whole pack was helping now with researching.

Nic was getting more anxious with the day. She knew it was a threefold ritual, but she couldn't remember the rest. She was frustrated but determined to help. She, Derek, and his dad were now in the station researching. Derek seemed to consider becoming a deputy, and Stiles's first reaction was drooling at the thought of Derek in a deputy uniform.

He walked to his locker, and before he could open it, he was jumped on by Erica, who crowed in victory that he didn't feel her coming. Soon the whole pack was surrounding him, and Stiles felt warm to be with his friends. He bantered a little with Jackson, proposed a game night with Scott, Isaac, Boyd, Erica, and Cora joining, knowing that Jackson just wanted to watch because he didn't enjoy board games and that Lydia would kick everybody's ass.

Lydia was a little silent. She had been for the last week since Nic's heat, but they had talked about it, and he made it clear that he wasn't mad and that Nic felt a little ashamed but still wanted to be her friend. But now, it seemed like something was wrong.

''Lyds, you okay?'' He asked softly when they walked into their next class.

She nodded but still didn't talk. About halfway through the lesson, she went rigid net to Stiles. She stood and rushed out of the classroom. Stiles quickly followed and made an excuse for her and him. The rest of the pack wanted to follow, but the teacher didn't let them go.

''Lydia! Lydia! Stop! Where are you-'' Stiles stopped when he saw Lydia stop in a doorway, her hands pressing against her mouth.

He ran to her and looked inside the classroom where she had stopped. As soon as he saw what Lydia was seeing, he pulled her back and pulled her head against his shoulder so she couldn't see the horrible sight in front of them.

Inside the classroom behind the piano was their music teacher, blood dripping on the floor beneath her. She was lying on the keys, and it almost seemed like she was sleeping, only the blood and the eyes were a giveaway.

Lydia started to whimper and tremble.

''Do you need to scream?'' Stiles whispered. She nodded against his shoulder. He quickly put up a silencing ward around them and gave her the green light to do it.

He clasped his hands over his ears, not having thought that he would still be able to hear her.

After a couple of seconds, she collapsed in his arms, spent from the scream. Stiles canceled the ward before pulling out his phone to call his dad.

''Jacks. Come to the music room. Lydia found a body. The rest of you stay in the class.'' He said loud enough so the wolves would have heard him.

Within seconds Jackson was storming towards them. He quickly took Lydia from Stiles's arms, and Stiles called his dad to tell them about the body.

''Hi, dad, I really, really want to transfer schools just about now,'' Stiles said.

''What's wrong, son?'' His dad responded, sheriff voice active and everything.

''The music teacher has been killed. Lydia just found her.'' He said in a monotone voice. Already dreading the rest of the day. He really needed a nap.

His dad started to curse, and Stiles was impressed with the originality of it. He needed to remember that. He also could hear Derek ask what was wrong. When his dad relayed the information, he could hear Derek leave the room—probably going to the school for his pack and mate. Nic on his heels.