Ch13: Gabriel Agreste

Start from the beginning

"So you should be fine. Don't be nervous," she said, turning and continuing to walk.

How could I not be nervous when I was about to meet the very man who founded this company? My future was dependent on how I carried myself. It was an overwhelming pressure.

Soon enough we arrived at white-wooded glass doors, guarded by two security people. They greeted Natalie and moved aside for her to open the door after scanning her employee badge.

Just before pushing the door open, I noticed she straightened her posture, sucked in her stomach, and quickly ran her hands over the back of her low pony tale. I copied her.

I felt like I was on the verge of having a panic attack as we entered the darkness. The room was only lit by four dim modern-styled lamps. The lights above must have been disabled since they usually turned on after sensing motion.

The windows were lined with black curtains that forbade any sort of sunshine from leaking through. Much like Felix's office, the 'CEO Suite' was furnished with a kitchen, couches, TV, and even a glass dining room table. Near the back wall, there was a large glossy black desk with five monitors. The glow from the screens illuminated the outline of a man with silver hair and oval glasses.

"Sir," Natalie said as she guided me to the front of the desk where two leather chairs were placed.

Mr. Agreste's head turned towards me. The glow from the blue computer light in his glasses prevented me from seeing his eyes. Instead I was met with two round orbs - soulless and inhuman. I was now shaking.

"You can sit," Natalie whispered. She took a seat and brushed off her lap.

As I did so, Mr. Agreste parted his monitors, creating space for him to see me.

"So, you're the intern who tried to save my son," he said, in a deep, low voice. 

"Ye...ye..yes," I nodded, tightly folding my hands together in my lap to hide the trembling.

"Marinette, is it?"

"Uh huh."

"Thank you."

"For what again? Oh yeah. Never mind! For sure! I didn't do much though."

"Regardless. What you did for Felix, most would not. It speaks of your character."

I felt guilt tugging on my shoulder. I was Ladybug. It was my job to save people. Perhaps knowing that at any moment I could become invincible gave me courage I would otherwise lack. Would I have still risked my life for Felix if I had no powers? If I was just a normal weak human? I couldn't honestly say. Everyone was giving me too much credit and I couldn't receive the praise with peace of mind. It felt like a trophy I didn't earn.

"Oh. Umm. It was nothing. Really," I said, shaking my head.

His lips curved downward, half his face  cloaked in shadow.

"Not to me," he said.

Oh no! Did I accidentally say Felix's life was nothing? No! No! No! Someone needed to get me out of here fast.

I nibbled on my thumb nail.

"The attack took a great toll on you, I see. I apologize on behalf of the company. We are taking measures to ensure the safety of our employees is never compromised in that way again."

"Well, I'm just happy everyone is okay. That Felix is safe, I mean."

"As am I. I'm especially glad Felix has someone as diligent as you working for him."

I'm not sure he'd still be saying that if he heard Felix and my previous conversation.

"Me too. I don't think I deserve it honestly. The opportunity, I mean."

"She's humble," Natalie interjected as if correcting my statement.

"Very good," he said, in almost a humming voice.

I nervously chuckled.

"I know he can be very difficult to work with, but he is a good person," Mr. Agreste said.

"I know."

A pause. Mr. Agreste drew his finger to his chin, in a similar manner as Felix.

"So tell me, Marinette. What is it you want?"

"I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean."

"Where would you like to end up in this company?"

I paused, debating if I should tell him.

"I'm into fashion. So to be a designer here would be my ultimate dream."

A well-formed smile.

"You are on a clear path. As Felix's secretary, your name will be echoed throughout many departments. It should be easy for you to find employment here after your internship ends. Most interns do."

"That's great to hear! I even create my own designs. I could show you sometime," I said, instantly wondering if I had overstepped a boundary.

"My schedule is full, but I can pass them along to the Director of Design."

"That would be awesome! Thank you so much!"

Natalie shot me a wide glare, as if telling me I needed to back off and lower my voice. I cleared my throat and waited for Mr. Agreste to speak.

"Anyway. Thanks for stopping by. I just wanted to meet the courageous young woman I've heard so much about," his words rubbed me like warm butter. I felt like I was melting. Why was he being so kind? Why so much flattery? Perhaps Mr. Agreste was better than his reputation of being stern and cold.

Also, who was talking 'so much' about me? Surely not Felix. Perhaps Alya or Luka?

When the silence lingered, I decided it was my turn to speak and thank him.

"It was an honor meeting you, sir. I admire you so much!"

"As you should."

"It's best we leave now," Natalie rose from her chair and sent a timid glance at Mr. Agreste.

"Very well, then," he said, "I'll see you soon."

I wasn't sure if he was talking to me or Natalie so I decided to reply just in case, "Sure thing!"

Natalie guided me out his office. I squinted as my eyes burned in the chandelier light.

"Well done," she said with a sigh. We walked towards the elevator.

"So, everything I said was okay?"

"Considering your age and maturity, yes."

"He mentioned that he's heard so much about me. Do you know how?"

"That would be my doing."

"Oh," I felt disappointed. Maybe I secretly wished Felix was bragging about me. Then again, what good had I actually done for him besides a failed attempt to save him? I didn't deserve his praise.

"Perhaps I was being selfish, but I thought it would help for you to have Mr. Agreste's favor should your internship prematurely end."

"Is it going to?" I asked, my voice cracking.

"Marinette, would you join me for lunch?" she asked, ignoring my comment.

"Yeah. Of course."

"There are certain subjects we need to discuss regarding Felix."

"Okay."

"Also, it would be best to avoid telling him about our meeting today."

"Understood," I said, dying of curiosity.