28)Promises

-Anwen's POV-

     I dipped a clean rag into an ointment, dabbing it onto Remus's face. "Ow!" He recoiled.

     "Sorry!" I replied, almost dropping the rag.

     "No, you're alright. Thank you." Remus responded, cringing at the pain.

     We were sitting outside next the lake. We would sit under the tree, but it's kind of gone now, a new one growing in its place. No one else was outside; just us two.

     "You're welcome." I smiled, softly applying the ointment to his long scar that he got from the last full moon.

    He cringed again and I just pressed on, knowing that it would be better to keep applying so the scar could fade away.

     "How are your parents?" He brought up.

     "They moved to the Potters' house during the summer. And they've got a Secret Keeper, too." My face fell. Last year, I had gotten a letter from You-Know-Who. He was trying to recruit me, but I replied with a no. His followers were trying to kill my parents because they had to leave their home after they got back to it, the mansion being blown to bits before their eyes.

     "Where were you and Bella over the summer? I tried to write you letters, but they always got sent back."

     "We had to stay at Hogwarts the whole summer. You-Know-Who can't get to us here." I remembered something and my eyes widened. "Also, James has keeping a secret from us."

     "What?" His jaw dropped.

     "My parents wrote us a letter when they got to the Potters'," I explained. "They said that Mr. Potter was a very welcoming man. And throughout the whole letter, they never mentioned Mrs. Potter."

     "Do you mean-?"

     I nodded, screwing the lid back in the bottle of ointment. "I found out when I wrote to James that she died before the beginning of last school year."

     "He probably has a valid reason." Remus brought up.

     "Yeah, but I didn't go into it any further. He probably felt bad the whole year."

     "Yeah. How do you feel about this being our last year at Hogwarts?" Remus asked, changing the subject. He might've felt bad about James's situation; he might've been a bit mad or offended about James not telling him about his sad piece of news. After all, they are friends.

     I took a deep breath and just smiled. "I'm going to miss it. And I'm a bit afraid for what is going to happen in the future. You?"

     Remus's hands started to shake. "I'm afraid, yes."

     I raised an eyebrow. "Are you okay?"

     "Annie, I want to ask you something." He stood up and I followed his lead. What's going on?

     "Yeah, go ahead." I looked into his brown eyes. I panicked, bracing myself for the worst, but hoping for the best.

    "I love you, Annie. I don't know what I would do without you. So," Remus pulled something out of his pocket. A ring. "If I asked you to promise me that we would be together after seventh year, would you say-"

     "Yes!" I hugged him, knocking us both down. We both fell in the lake, water soaking our clothes. We came up to the surface. "I want to be with you. Forever, if we had the choice."

     We kissed, butterflies going crazy. We broke apart and he slipped the beautiful ring on my finger. It was simple; but it was gorgeous.

     We embraced again before climbing out of the lake. "Don't want the Giant Squid to get us." Remus joked.