chapter six - worst chariot race, ever

CHAPTER SIX

☽ 𓆉

"MY GODS IS Annabeth annoying," Percy grunted as he clashed swords with Estella. Sweat dripped down his face as he went to attack again. "I don't know what she has against Tyson, and I can't believe her grudge stopped her from being my chariot partner."

Estella threw her hands up, signaling her surrender. "You're really beating me up, Perc. Let's take a break."

They sat down against the wall, watching the other kids that trained. "I just- I'm so frustrated. Now I'm partners with Tyson and have even more of a reason to be made fun of."

"You have to think about it this way: these kids aren't your friends. They don't care about who you are or what you do. Tyson will probably be around for a while. You need to accept him for who he is because he's your brother."

"He's not my brother!" Percy exclaimed as he stood up. His sword turned back into a pen, which he stuffed in his pocket. "We're done training for today."

Percy stormed off without another word and Estella let him. She sighed, knowing that he was taking his frustration out on her. Normally, she would be angry, but she decided to take pity on him. The two of them, over the last few days, spent a lot of time together and got fairly close. Besides Annabeth, Julia, and Alice, Percy was the one that she saw the most. They spent their free time training or talking by the lake. They even had archery class together, which was a plus.

They told each other lots of things. They described their lives before camp and talked about their families. Percy even told Estella about the strange dreams he had about his friend, Grover, who was on a mission to find the lost god Pan. Estella felt a bit guilty because she had dreams strange as well and decided to keep those to herself.

Estella stood up. Some kids stopped and stared at her. They must've heard Percy lash out at her, but she didn't care. This was between the two of them, not the other campers.

The curly-haired girl walked back to her cabin. The sun started to set and the sky was painted pink and orange. She stopped for a moment, breathing in the air and feeling the transition to night. She felt more energized, like she could run a marathon. The night tended to affect her in that way. She felt more alive.

"Stella! We wondered when you'd come back," Alice said as she gave her friend a hug.

"Hey," Estella said simply.

"How was training with Percy?" Julia asked.

"Um, it was alright," Estella answered. She wasn't in the mood to talk about Percy, much less have her friends gush over him.

"We heard that he and Annabeth aren't partners anymore. Are you the one taking her place?" Julia questioned.

Estella crossed her arms. "No, I'm not. Tyson is."

Alice started to laugh, making Estella frown. "You mean he's going to have that monster in the chariot with him? How ridiculous!"

"Tyson is not a monster," Estella snapped. "He saved our lives and he loves Percy."

"Oh come on, Stella. You're telling me you don't think he's hideous?" Julia joined in.

Estella clenched her fists so hard her nails dug into her skin. Why are they being so mean to a person they barely know?

"Tyson is fine the way he is. Leave him alone, or else you'll regret being on my bad side," Estella snapped.

She stormed away from the girls and slammed her door shut. Estella jumped into bed and stuffed her face in her pillow.