chapter ten - don't trust food chains

CHAPTER TEN
☽ 𓆉

           "THERMOS!" PERCY SHOUTED as they hurtled toward the water.

"What?" Annabeth and Estella said in unison. The both of them clung to the side of the lifeboat like their life depended on it... which it kind of did.

Tyson did what the two couldn't do and handed Percy a canister that Hermes happened to give Percy.

"Hang on!"

Estella knew her face was either paling or a bright shade of green by now. She tried to keep the contents in her stomach down while trying not to die.

"We are hanging on!" Annabeth yelled.

"Tighter!"

Percy hooked his feet under the inflatable bench and Tyson grabbed onto Annabeth and Estella's shirts. Percy turned the cap slightly.

Whatever was in the canister was itching to come out because there was a burst of air that jetted out of the thermos and propelled them sideways.

Estella could hardly wrap her head around the fact that there was a ton of air in that small container. Then again, she somehow managed to grasp she was a child of Hecate and her friends were also half-god as well. She just needed to get used to science defying experiences as well.

The winds were so strong that the boat skimmed around the water like a flat rock that was tossed. There was a wail of outrage from the ship behind them. The Princess Andromeda soon faded to the size of a toy, then it was gone and out of Estella's mind.

Once a good amount of time passed, Annabeth and Percy tried to Iris-message Chiron, the camp director Estella briefly met.

They told him about sneaking from camp, Luke running a scary cruise ship and Krono's remains being on it.

"Percy," Chiron yelled, "you have to watch out for—"

His voice was drowned out by shouting behind him.

"What?" Percy yelled.

"Curse my relatives!" Chiron ducked as a plate flew over his head and shattered. "Annabeth, you shouldn't have let them leave camp! But if you do get the Fleece—"

"Yeah baby!" Someone behind the centaur shouted.

The music cranked up a few notches. It was so loud that the boat started to vibrate.

"—Miami. I'll try to keep watch—"

The misty screen vanished when a bottle was thrown at it, making Estella flinch. Chiron disappeared.

The four of them made small talk here and there, but for almost an hour, they sat in silence. Estella stared out at the passing sea and was being lulled into the thought of falling asleep.

She was so close to finally keeping her eyes shut when she heard Annabeth's exclaims.

"That's Virginia Beach! Oh my gods, how did the Princess Andromeda travel so far overnight? That's like—"

"Five hundred and thirty nautical miles," Percy answered.

Annabeth stared blankly. "How did you know that?"

"I—I'm not sure."

Annabeth pondered for a moment. "Percy, what's our position?"

"36 degrees, 44 minutes north,  76 degrees, 2 minutes west," he said. Percy looked taken aback. "Woah how did I know that?"

"Because of your dad. When you're at sea, you have perfect bearings. That is so cool."

"Other boat is coming," Tyson said.