chapter nineteen - the huntress and her bow

CHAPTER NINETEEN
☽ 𓆉

THEY LANDED at Crissy Fields at nightfall.

Annabeth immediately ran to him when he got out of the biplane. They hugged each other tightly. "Dad! You flew... you shot... oh my gods! That was the most amazing thing I've ever seen!"

He blushed. "Well, not bad for a middle-aged mortal, I suppose."

"But the celestial bronze bullets! How did you get those?"

"Ah, well. You did leave quite a few half-blood weapons in your room in Virginia, the last time you... left." Annabeth looked down, embarrassed. "I decided to try melting some down to make bullet casings. Just a little experiment."

"Dad..."

"Annabeth, Estella, Percy," Thalia interrupted. Her voice was urgent. She stayed with Artemis to tend to Zoe's wounds.

They ran over to help, despite there not being much to do. Zoe didn't look good, either. She was shivering, despite it not being cold out.

"Can't you heal her with magic?" Percy asked. "I mean... you're a goddess."

Artemis frowned. "Like is a fragile thing, Percy. If the Fates will the string to be cut, there is little I can do. But I can try."

She went to touch Zoe's side, but Zoe gripped her wrist. She looked into the goddess's eyes, a moment of unspoken words being spoken.

"Have I... served thee well?" Zoe whispered.

"With great honor," Artemis said softly. "The finest of my attendants."

Zoe's face relaxed, and Estella realized that Zoe was ready to die. It wasn't just the wound from Ladon, but her father too. "Rest. At last."

"I can try to heal the poison, my brave one."

Zoe turned to Estella first, her eyes soft. "I am sorry I doubted your power. You are an amazing hero. Don't listen to anyone else."

Estella blinked through her tears, trying to be strong for Zoe. She nodded, knowing she didn't need to say anything to Zoe.

She turned to Thalia next and grabbed her hand. "I am sorry we argued. We could have been sisters."

"It's my fault," Thalia said. "You were right about Luke, about heroes, men- everything."

"Perhaps not all men," she smiled at Percy. "Do you still have the sword, Percy?"

Percy silently brought out the pen and put it in her hand. "You spoke the truth, Percy Jackson. You are nothing like... like Hercules. I am honored that you carry this sword."

A shudder ran through her body.

"Zoe-" Percy said.

"Stars," she whispered. "I can see the stars again, my lady."

A tear flowed down Artemis's cheek. "Yes, my brave one. They are beautiful tonight."

"Stars," Zoe repeated. Her eyes were on the sky. They stayed open, and she did not move again.

Estella covered her mouth, trying to restrain the sobs that flowed from her mouth. Percy put a hand on the small of her back, but even he couldn't comfort her from death.

Artemis cupped her hand over Zoe's mouth and spoke a few words in Ancient Greek. A wisp of smoke exhaled from Zoe's slips and the goddess grabbed it. Zoe's body shimmered and disappeared.

Artemis stood and said a blessing. She breathed into her cupped hands and released the dust into the sky.

For a moment, everyone was silent. But then Annabeth gasped. Up in the sky, the stars were bright. There was a new pattern, a girl running with a bow.