chapter two - taxi from hell

CHAPTER TWO

☽ 𓆉

           PERCY TUGGED ESTELLA to an alley on Church Street. There, Annabeth yanked her, Tyson, and Percy off the sidewalk. They just missed the fire truck racing down the street to their school.

"What's your name?" Annabeth asked Estella, who squirmed under the intense gaze of the girl.

"Estella Santos. What happened back there? What are you guys?" The dark-haired girl asked.

What happened less than an hour ago was only told in her graphic novels. This— it was madness. Giants throwing firey balls at children, claiming they wanted to eat them? A thirteen-year-old girl using a dagger? Her father would think Estella was crazy if she told him about her morning.

Annabeth sighed, like what she was about to say she had said a million times before. "Estella, you are a demigod, child to a mortal and Greek God or Goddess. Which parent was absent in your life?"

If Annabeth had said that in any other moment, Estella would've called her out for being rude. But somehow, what she said made sense.

"My mother. My dad told me she left when I was born."

"I see. I'm shocked monsters hadn't found you sooner. But it's good we found you now, so we can take you back to Camp."

"Wait what? I'm not going to camp," Estella protested. "My dad—"

"Your dad will understand. You can send a message when we arrive. For now, you have to stick with us, or else you'll probably die," Annabeth said frankly.

Estella tried to not look so shocked. Camp? Half God? Might die if she didn't stick with them? Why did this have to happen to her, out of all people? Why can't it be the bullies like Mark Sloan that have their life on the line?

"And where did you find him?" Annabeth demanded, pointing at the tall boy behind Estella.

Estella was thankful the blonde changed the topic from her. It made Estella anxious, especially knowing Percy was watching her.

"He's my friend," Percy told.

"Is he homeless?"

"What does that have to do with anything? He can hear you, you know. Why don't you ask him?"

Annabeth's eyes widened. "He can talk?"

"I talk," Tyson said. "You two are pretty."

"Ah! Gross!" Annabeth shouted and stepped away.

Estella didn't know why Annabeth was being so judgemental of Tyson. Yeah, he wasn't the brightest, but what he said was quite sweet.

"Tyson," Percy said in amazement. "Your hands aren't even burned."

"Of course not," Annabeth muttered. "I'm surprised the Laistrygonians had the guts to attack you with him around."

Tyson, not listening to their conversation, went to touch Annabeth's hair. She smacked his hand away.

"Annabeth, what are you talking about? Laistry-what?"

"Laistrygonians. The monsters in the gym. They're a race of giant cannibals who live far north. Odysseus ran into them once, but I've never seen them as far south as New York before."

Estella couldn't believe how crazy Annabeth sounded. If she hadn't been in the gym to see it herself, Estella would have thought she was insane. Knowing that all the Greek myths she learned about were real was a big game-changer. And a big headache.