chapter thirteen - sirens are NOT like mermaids

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
☽ 𓆉

THINGS WERE different once they left Circe's island. Annabeth locked herself in the bottom of the ship due to her seasickness, while Percy and Estella were on deck but kept to themselves.

Estella could tell that there was something with her friend. He was quiet, distant, and busied himself with commanding the ship. She let him be alone as she stared at the moonlight on the ocean.

Estella felt different from being on Circe's island for more reasons than one. For starters— it was quite disturbing to see your only known sibling turn men into pigs for a living. But regardless of that, something deeper stirred within the girl. It was like the magic within her awoke at the sight of the sister. Or maybe it was the enchanted island that connected the dots for her. Whatever it was, the dots connected inside Estella and she could feel the magic all around her.

She never realized how prevalent it was. She could see the flow of magic around the ship— elegant streaks of purples and blues swirling in the wind. When she looked at Percy there was even a tint of green that surrounded him.

He approached her in a cautious away. He must've sensed the unspoken tension as well. The boy walked right beside her, leaning over the side, and causing their elbows to touch.

"This might be biased of me to say, but I've always thought the ocean was beautiful."

"I mean, a little bit," Estella laughed, "but I agree."

There was something hypnotic about it. And to be fair, the ocean often reminded Estella of Percy. They were a soft lullaby but with a power that none other possessed.

She could feel his green eyes on the side of her face. "How are you? After, seeing your first godly sibling and all?"

Estella sighed. "If she's similar to the rest, then I don't want to see what the others are like." She paused. "I don't know— it's kind of jarring to be thrown into a world where your family could be evil."

"Is this about Circe... or Hecate?"

"I don't know, both?" Estella looked back at him. "Everyone at camp already thinks I'm weak because I'm the kid of a minor god. Imagine what they'll think of me when they find out my mom's siding with him."

Percy gripped the railing. "Don't care about what they think. Not the campers or even the Gods. I've seen what you can do, and you haven't even unlocked your true potential! You're powerful, Stella. That's why you're in the Great Prophecy."

"Thanks, but you're one to talk Fish Face. You're in the Prophecy with me."

Percy looked out at the water. The boat rocked them back at forth, tilting the horizon.

"Don't get me started with that," Percy chuckled. "It's frustrating that so many people know it but the people it involves can't. I hate the Gods for that."

Estella squinted and looked up at the sky, but nothing happened.

"Yeah, it's a killer because I hate surprises."

"When people say that they usually refer to birthdays, not an event that could destroy Olympus," Percy said with a smirk.

"Same difference," Estella smiled back.

For the next couple of hours, the two stared out at the ocean and talked about all kinds of things. Life at home, life at camp, and the future to come. Estella found comfort in talking to Percy.