chapter four - camp half-blood

CHAPTER FOUR

☽ 𓆉

          AT A FIRST glance, Camp Half-Blood was beautiful. Beautiful wasn't even the word to describe how Estella felt. As soon as she saw the plethora of things to do, there was a rush of warmth that spread through her body. She didn't know what stood out to her the most— the strawberry fields, the glistening Long Island Sound, the combat area. It was all amazing.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Annabeth said with a soft smile.

"Yeah, I already feel at home," Estella said. She felt bad admitting it, since her father should be what she thought of home but the two of them grew apart with their opposite interests. Their back in New York City was her father's home, not hers.

"Don't feel bad. I know that look," Annabeth told. "I consider this place my home because my father and I's relationship is... complicated."

It was Annabeth and Estella that walked together through the camp while Percy and Tyson trailed slowly behind.

"So, um, who's your Godly parent?"

"Athena," she said simply.

Estella remembered Athena was the goddess of wisdom. That was quite fitting for Annabeth. She always had a calculating look in her eye— like she was trying to find all the answers.

But as of now, that look wasn't there. Instead, there was a hint of sadness. She looked ahead at the camp, watching campers interact with one another. Estella noticed why. She expected a camp full of demigods to be lively and fun, but everyone here looked like they were in prison.

It didn't take Estella much to figure out that it was the pine tree that caused everyone's distress. It was very important, and now it was poisoned.

"What's so important about that tree?" Estella grew the confidence to ask.

Annabeth glanced at her and then looked forward. She had a hard expression on her face like she preferred not to talk about it. "When I was seven, my friends Luke, Thalia, and Grover traveled across the country to get here. When we got to camp we were attacked by an army of monsters. Thalia stayed back and sacrificed herself so the rest of us could get to camp safely. She was badly wounded in battle. When it was over, Zeus took pity on her and turned her into the pine tree, which serves as a boundary for camp."

The blonde looked away. Estella knew she was trying not to cry. The brunette placed a hand on Annabeth's shoulder.

"She's a hero. And I'm sure you'll find a way to fix this," Estella told.

Annabeth wiped a tear away. "Thanks," she said. Annabeth stopped walking. "Here we are— the Big House."

Percy and Tyson caught up to them. For a moment, they all stood and stared at the house. Tyson was the first to walk forward, and they all followed his lead.

Annabeth and Percy led Tyson and Estella to Chiron's apartment. He listened to '60s music as he packed his things. At first, Estella didn't notice the white horse body that substituted human legs. She tried not to act shocked, but her face was obvious.

"Pony!" Tyson shouted.

"I beg your pardon?" Chiron turned, looking offended.