chapter fourteen - winner winner, cyclops dinner

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
☽ 𓆉

ESTELLA DIDN'T realize Cyclopses could be so cleanly. The island (more like paradise) caught her by surprise as they sailed to shore. Annabeth and Percy seemed equally impressed.

"The fleece," Annabeth said as she took a deep breath.

Was this how powerful the fleece was? No wonder they were looking for this, Thalia's tree will probably be revived and grow another 100 feet. Maybe Camp Half-Blood will become a paradise, too.

"If we take it away, will the island die?" Percy asked.

Annabeth shook her head. "It'll fade. Go back to what it would be normally, whatever that is."

They approached a ravine, and in that were grazing sheep. But they weren't normal sheep and happened to be the size of hippos. At the end of the canyon was a large oak tree with something glimmering in the branches.

"This is easy, I'll just teleport and take it," Estella said.

Annabeth narrowed her eyes and grabbed onto her friend. "There's supposed to be a guardian. A dragon or—"

A deer then appeared from the bushes. Stella didn't even have time to blink, because the sheep immediately rushed towards it. In a matter of seconds, they departed, leaving a pile of bones where the sheep once was.

Her stomach churned.

"They're like piranhas," she said.

Percy looked at Estella. "Please do not go with your plan."

"Definitely not. But how do we—"

"Guys, look!" Annabeth said.

She pointed to a beach below, just below the sheep. A lifeboat sat on the shore, one belonging to the CSS Birmingham.

☽ 𓆉

           PERCY KNEW he would have to wish Estella a thousand times over for being able to teleport. After a few minutes of conspiring, the three knew that for now, the fleece would be unreachable. So instead, they sailed Queen Ann's Revenge to the other side of the island by a cliff.

Without Estella, they would've had to climb up the treacherous cliff and probably would've been close to dying. But instead, she was able to teleport them right above the Cyclopses' lair, of course, with the setback that she was fatigued.

Annabeth clamped a hand over Percy's mouth before he could thank his other friend. Estella looked at where the blonde pointed. There was a monster below them.

"You're a feisty one!"

"Challenge me!" A voice that was most definitely Clarisse's said. "Give me back my sword and I'll fight you!"

They crept over the ledge. There stood Polymephus and Grover, in a wedding dress. Clarisse was tied up and hung over a boiling pot of water.

"Hmm, eat loudmouth girl now or wait for wedding feast? What does my bride think?"

"Oh, I'm not hungry now, dead. Perhaps—"

"Did you say, bride?" Clarisse demanded. "Who, Grover?"

Estella balled her fists, trying her hardest not to go down there and slap the silly out of Clarisse. How thick-headed could someone be?

"Shut up," Annabeth muttered. "She has to shut up."

"What 'Grover'?" The Cyclops grumbled.