chapter six - not the same without annabeth

CHAPTER SIX
☽ 𓆉

CHIRON WILL be so disappointed in you.

The mantra played in her mind when they landed at Camp Half-Blood. Chiron expected that Estella get her friends back safely, especially after the hard work they did during fall.

Her stomach was in knots by the time they reached the Big House. Whatever conversations her friends made were far out of reach. Her mind blurred out everything but Chiron's home when it came into view.

Percy glanced her way and shot a concerned look, but Estella's eyes were trained on Chiron who played a quiet game of cards with Mr. D.

Chiron smiled when he saw them. "Estella! Percy! Thalia! Ah, and this must be—"

"Nico di Angelo," Percy said. "He and his sister are half-bloods."

Chiron breathed a sigh of relief. "You succeeded, then."

Estella's throat grew dry.

"Well..."

His smile melted. "What's wrong? And where is Annabeth?"

"Oh dear," Mr. D said in a bored voice, "not another one lost."

Estella clenched her fists, trying to dismiss the heat that grew in her fingers. She wanted to hex Dionysus out of existence. Percy's firm grasp on her wrist is what stopped her.

"What do you mean? Who else is lost?" Thalia asked.

Grover trotted into the room. He split off from the earlier to guide the Hunters. His smile would say he had a great time, despite the black eye and red cheek. "The Hunters are all moved in!"

Chiron frowned. "The Hunters, eh? I see we have much to talk about." He glanced at Nico. "Grover, perhaps you should take our young friend to the den and show him our orientation film."

"But... Oh, right. Yes, sir."

"Orientation film?" Nico asked. "Is it G or PG? Cause Bianca is kinda strict—"

"It's PG-13," Grover said.

"Cool!" Nico grinned and followed him out of the room.

"Now," Chiron said to the three of them, "perhaps you should sit down and tell us the whole story."

☽ 𓆉

          ESTELLA TRIED not to cry as they explained what happened with Annabeth and Dr. Thron.

When they were done, Chiron turned to Mr. D. "We should launch a search for Annabeth immediately."

"I'll go," Thalia, Percy, and Estella said immediately.

Mr. D sniggered. "Certainly not!"

Estella protested and Percy and Thalia joined in. Mr. D held up his hand, silencing them. As much as Estella couldn't stand the director, he was still a God and was more than capable of turning her to dust.

"From what you have told me," Mr. D said, "we have broken even on this escapade. We have, ah, regrettably lost Annie Bell—"

"Annabeth," Percy snapped.

Estella realized she was still holding onto Percy's hand once she gripped him harder. She blushed.

"Yes, yes," he said. "And you procured a small annoying boy to replace her. So I see no point risking further half-bloods on a ridiculous rescue. The possibility is very great that this Annie girl is dead."