chapter eighteen - the battle on mount othrys

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
☽ 𓆉

          WHILE ZOE did not look identical to her father, unlike her sisters, there was a resemblance. They had the same, stiff and regal appearance.

"Let Artemis go," Zoe demanded.

Atlas walked closed to the chained goddess. "Perhaps you'd like to take the sky for her, then? Be my guest."

Zoe opened her mouth to speak, but Artemis said, "No! Do not offer, Zoe! I forbid you."

Atlas smirked. He knelt next to Artemis, going to touch her face. She bit at him and almost bit off a finger.

"Hoo-hoo," Atlas chuckled. "You see, daughter? Lady Artemis likes her new job. I think I will have all the Olympians take turns carrying my burden, once Lord Kronos rules again, and this is the center of our palace. It will teach those weaklings some humility."

Percy and Estella were busy watching Annabeth. She motioned her head towards Luke, as she tried to tell them something. Estella didn't know what she meant. But she did notice something different about Annabeth: a grey streak in her hair.

"From holding the sky," Thalia muttered. "The weight should've killed her."

"I don't understand," Percy said. "Why can't Artemis just let go of the sky?"

Atlas laughed. "How little you understand, young one. This is the point where the sky and earth first meet, where Ouranos and Gaia first brought forth their mighty children, the Titans. The sky still yearns to embrace the earth. Someone must hold it at bay, or else it would crush down this place, instantly flattening the mountain and everything within a hundred leagues. Once you have taken the burden, there is no escape." Atlas smiled. "Unless someone else takes it from you."

He approached Estella, Percy, and Thalia. "So these are the best heroes of the age, eh? Not much of a challenge." His eyes flickered to Estella as if he recognized her.

"Fight us," Percy said. "And let's see."

"Have the gods taught you nothing? An immortal does not fight a mere mortal directly. It is beneath our dignity. I will have Luke crush you instead."

"So you're another coward," Percy said.

Atlas's eyes glowed with hatred. He turned to Thalia, trying to divert his anger from Percy. "As for you, daughter of Zeus, it seems Luke was wrong about you."

"I wasn't wrong," Luke managed. "Thalia, you can still join us. Call the Ophiotaurus. It will come to you. Look!"

He waved his hand, and next to them a pool of water appeared. Estella looked from the black water to Luke, wondering how he had such power.

Beside her, Percy looked physically pained. His eyes were squeezed tight and his body rigid. She quickly grabbed onto his hand, which seemed to help him relax a bit. 

"Thalia, call the Ophiotaurus. And you will be more powerful than the gods."

"Luke..." her voice was full of pain. "What happened to you?"

"Don't you remember all those times we talked? All those times we cursed the gods? Our fathers have done nothing for us. They have no right to rule the world!"

Thalia shook her head. "Free Annabeth. Let her go."

"If you join me," Luke promised, "it can be like old times. The three of us together. Fighting for a better world. Please, Thalia, if you don't agree..." His voice faltered. "It's my last chance. He will use the other way if you don't agree. Please."