thirty

"Brayson? Babe? Are you awake?" Zoe whispers quietly, her blue lips trembling and her hands shaking in fear.

Brayson's heart swells when she calls him babe, and he waits to see if she'll say it again.

"Babe? Brayson?"

"Uh huh," Brayson murmurs, his voice raspy and broken from previously being asleep. "Is something wrong, Zee?"

"Uh," Zoe stammers, and Brayson sits up, instantly worried. "I, uh, things... I can see things, right now." She whispers, voice breaking slightly. "I'm really scared, Bray. Can you, um, can you help me? Please?"

"Yeah, of course," Brayson walks over to where Zoe's curled up in a ball, shaking. "Zee, what do you want me to do?"

"Stay with me? Please?" She whimpers and Brayson nods. He lifts up the poorly bleached blankets and climbs onto the incredibly small bed.

"You'll protect me, right?" Zoe whispers and Brayson nods, placing a kiss to her temple. "Until the sun dies, Zee."

They both fall asleep to the sound of their uneven breaths, caused by the touch of their pale skins.

+

Zoe stirs in attempt for find a more comfortable spot on the tiny bed. She tries her best not to disturb Brayson in his sleep, but is proven unsuccessful when she feels his lips on her hair, pressing a kiss to her head.

"Good morning, Beautiful," He murmurs and Zoe smiles unconciously at his raspy morning voice.

"Morning, Bray," She mumbles, wrapping her arms around his waist and pulling him impossibly closer, snuggling into his broad chest.

"Zoe," He drawls in a high voice, "Can we go eat? I'm hungry!" Even though he sounds like an annoying three year-old, Zoe giggles and shakes her head.

"Brayson," She copies his previous tone, "I want to stay and cuddle!"

"But all the food is going to be gone soon!" Brayson whines, but pulls Zoe closer despite his efforts to get them both out of bed.

"No, Brayson," She drawls. Brayson pouts his lip and flickers his eyelids, and although it looks like he's having an eye spasm, Zoe still thinks it's the cutest thing she has ever seen.

She sighs, sitting up. "Alright man-child, let's get you something to eat, then." She giggles when Brayson rolls off the bed, landing on the floor with a 'thud'. He jumps up with his fist raised, "Yes! Food, here I come!" He yells and picks the girl up off of the bed bridal style, placing her on her feet.

"Let's go get some food!" He jumps up and down excitedly, grabbing onto Zoe's hand.

"Calm down, they're going to think you're having some sort of attack," Zoe giggles, although she's being quite serious.

"Oops, sorry." He says as he settles down, and Zoe giggles when she hears his tummy rumble.

"It's like they don't feed you here or something..." Zoe says as they walk out of their cell to fetch some barely edible food.