twenty nine

"Zoe," her psychiatrist, Doctor Ron, starts. "It's time for your monthly visit. Your parents are here this time. Along with your older brother, actually." He informs Zoe, and Brayson watches from his bed as she visibly tenses.

"They'll be in soon, okay? It's up to you whether or not you want Brayson to stay for this." He nods curtly at Brayson and Zoe nods appreciatively. With that final action, the psychiatrist left the two alone, impatiently awaiting Zoe's family to arrive.

"It's going to be okay, you know." Brayson speaks up, looking over at Zoe. She simply sighs and walks over to Brayson's bed, sitting down across from him.

"You're going to stay with me, right?" Zoe asks, looking at her lap intently.

"Of course I will, everything is going to be okay, alright?" He coos, placing a chaste kiss on Zoe's temple.

They sit there and chat for a bit, and Brayson learns that Zoe's mom, Anne, is a teacher while her father, Jacob, is a surgeon. He also learned that Zoe's older brother, Zach, was in his third year of university and took up street fighting at age 15, so he's pretty intimidating.

"So, he's only like one year older than you?" Brayson asks and Zoe nods.

"Well, I'm twenty and he just turned twenty-two last month, so a year and a little bit."

Just then, the door opens and in walks three figures who open their arms to their daughter (or in Zach's case, sister).

"Mom, Dad, hi." Zoe mutters, and Brayson knows that Zoe isn't exactly happy to see them, considering they haven't visited her for five months now. Her brother, on the other hand, she was very excited to see. She understands that Zach couldn't always fit the time to drop by, but he did send her letters often, which she was grateful for.

When her mom and dad finally let go of her, she immediately ran to Zach, engulfing him in a huge hug.

"I missed you, Brother." She mutters, sighing happily.

"Missed you times two, sister." Zach responds, just as happy as she was.

When they pull apart, Zoe takes ahold of Zach's hand, leading him over to Brayson.

"Parents, Zach, meet my- uh- meet Brayson. Bray, meet the 'rents, Ann-" She is about to introduce but Brayson cut her off, standing up and brushing his palms on his sweats.

"Anne and Jacob, hi." He says, extending a hand out to them both, which they shake hesitantly. Brayson then turns to Zoe's brother. "And you must be Zach, Zoe's told me a lot about you." He smiles, and they shake hands as well. Zach is about the same height as Brayson, but a lot more muscular. "Did she tell you I know how to fight because if you ever hurt her I swear to god I wil-" "Zach! Stop!" Zoe cuts him off, pushing her brother gently by the shoulder.

Brayson nods, "I swear I will never lay a harming hand on your sister, she means the world to me."

Zoe's heart swells at his words- knowing they are full of truth- and smiles.

"Well, we have a lot of catching up to do, I see." Anne spoke, sitting down hesitantly on Zoe's bed as if it's full of unwanted germs.

"Oh boy," Zoe mutters under her breath, and Brayson rubs her forearm soothingly.

As Zoe's parents takes a seat on her rather uncomfortable bed, Zach finds a nice spot on the floor, leaving Brayson and Zoe on the bench right beside the door.

"So, uh, are you two, like, a thing?" Zach asks, gesturing to the space in between the two of them.

As Zoe shakes her head, Brayson nods.