twenty eight

Doctor Burnston waves goodbye as she walks out of the room, closing the door quietly in the process.

"So..." Brayson drawls, walking over to Zoe's bed with an eyebrow raised and a smirk taking over his features.

"What...should I be scared?" Zoe picks at her skin again, something she hasn't done since Brayson arrived at the psych ward. Brayson notices and starts to panic.

He drops himself down beside Zoe and takes her fingers away from her reddened arms, holding her hands in his.

"Hey, do your arms hurt? I could ask for some lotion or something," Brayson asks worriedly, running his free hand over her welts, some dripping fresh blood.

"N-No, I'm good." Zoe whispers, shaking her head although her arms are in a little pain.

"No, no. I will go and get some. I'll be right back." He informs the aching girl as he exits the room.

Minutes later, he returns with a small bottle of lotion.

"This should work," He says as he grabs a cloth to remove any fresh blood before putting some lotion on his large hands, rubbing the lotion onto Zoe's arms.

Her eyes roll to the back of her head at the sensation. It feels good, like her searing-hot skin is turning back to normal temperature.

As her eyes are closed, she feels a slimy liquid being whipped across her forehead. She opens her eyes instantly to find Brayson sprawled out on the ground, laughing and clutching his stomach. Zoe let out a small chuckle at the sight before reaching up to see what was on her face. As she swipes her finger across her forehead, she confirms it is indeed the lotion he had been rubbing on her arms moments before.

"You are so mean!" She laughs as he sits back down next to her, still chuckling.

"Oops," Brayson laughs, shrugging. Zoe wipes rids her face of the lotion and pounces on the laughing boy, swiping her fingers across his face.

"Zoe! Zoe, stop!" He laughs, grabbing her waist, wrapping his muscular arms securely around the girl as she giggles.

As if suddenly realizing their close proximity, their laughing subsides. Zoe watches intently as Brayson's gaze flickers down to her lips.

Brayson looks back up at her, as if searching for hesitation, but when he does not find what he's looking for, he leans in slowly.

Just as their lips were about to touch, Zoe puts her finger up to his slightly puckered lips.

When Brayson's face deflates, she simply giggles, leans in and whispers in his ear, "I'm not going to kiss you with lotion all over your face."

"Why not?" He pouts. "At least my lips would be all moisturized." He puckers his lips and furrows his eyebrows weirdly, resulting in making Zoe laugh.

She rolls down her sleeve and wipes Brayson's face, successfully getting rid of all the lotion that she left on his face beforehand.

"That's better." She smiles before placing her lips on his. The kiss is passionate, and they both smile into it, knowing it's what she both longed for.

She felt good, having her lips on Brayson's.

She felt alive.