Chapter 27: Hatred Burns Deep

“Do you have any idea how much trouble you are in right now?”

His loud voice thundered in the small room. My stomach twisted into a million knots while Daniel chastised Dante for his outburst earlier.

After I stopped Dante from committing another crime against the Alpha laws, Daniel dragged him into the Alpha meeting room. The other packs had started to yell in outrage and looked like they were ready to lock him up. Walter had certainly succeeded in riling Dante up and my mate took the bait - hook, line, and sinker.

My fingers ran through his black fur from his head down his back. He still hadn’t calmed down enough to shift back. I placed a small kiss on the top of his head before turning back to Daniel, who was pacing around the room with a scowl on his face.

“What do we do now, Daniel? They can’t possibly think any of this was his fault. Walter baited him. We were all there.”

He shook his head, “It doesn’t matter, Arianna. If they think he is a threat to them then they will lock him up, forever.”

“No! They can’t take him away from me.”

“We might not have a choice.”

“Please, Daniel, can’t you talk to them? They will listen to you.”

He sighed heavily and slumped down into his chair at the Alpha table.

“I’m sorry, Arianna. I am afraid that they no longer listen to me. The moment I took Dante’s side when we came back was the moment they stopped letting me in.”

“What if we leave?”

“I’m sorry?”

“Dante told me that they were forcing us to take our packs and leave. We can just leave. We won’t bother anyone. They have to let us go.”

“I don’t think it is that simple anymore.”

“I won’t let them take him from me. If I have to I will get every pack member to fight for him.”

“That’s what I was afraid of. We need to get him out of here and come up with a plan where no one will hear us.”

I looked back down at my mate and felt a wave of calm spread through his body as he finally relaxed. Any moment now he would be able to shift.

‘I want to talk first, Ari.’

“Daniel, would you mind giving us a moment and possibly finding him a change of clothes? I think there might be some in the car.”

“Of course.”

The moment Daniel closed the door Dante shifted back. His strong, naked arms wrapped around my torso and his head rested against my stomach.

“Is it true?”

I sighed and tentatively ran a hand slowly through his hair before nudging his head to look up at me.

“I’m not really sure, Dante. It’s barely been over a week. I have no idea where Walter would come up with that.”

“We should have Jared take a look at you when we get home.”

I rolled my eyes, “Dante, we have more important things to do than ask a pack doctor to see if I am pregnant.”

He shook his head.

“Ari, there is nothing more important than you and your safety. If Walter was right then we need to take the proper precautions. We have no idea what our kids are going to be like after the experimentation.”