Chapter 6: Time Is Always Against Us

My hand covered my mouth to keep myself from making any noises. If they were wolf shifters they would have been able to smell the fear rolling off me or heard my erratic heartbeat pounding in my chest. I knew now they were hunters. Therefore they were at a disadvantage and had no idea where I was hiding.

'Are you alone, Xavier?' a voice snarled at my father.

'There is no one else in the house,' he quickly lied.

'Good.'

I stifled back a scream when they pulled him out of his chair and away from the desk I was hiding under. The coffee we had just been sharing was knocked to the floor and spilled all over the carpet as he struggled with the hunters.

I couldn't see what was going on. I had to rely on my sensitive hearing. They were tying him down with rope. I tried to call out to someone through the mind link but no one was answering. Why weren't they answering me?

'You know, Xavier, I have been looking forward to this day for a very long time.'

'I know you have, Johnny.'

I gripped the bottom edges of the desk to keep myself from running out to save my father from being tortured by them. But before he pushed me under the desk he gave me an Alpha order and made me promise not to come out no matter what they did to him. I couldn't move.

'You also know who sent me.'

'I have had my suspicions for a while. I did not think they would be stupid enough to ally themselves with mongrels.'

Johnny and the other hunters laughed.

'You are the wild beasts yet you call us mongrels.'

My father sighed.

'Our kind is not as sick as you, Johnny. We do not get our kicks from torturing innocent people.'

Johnny didn't like that. I listened to them plunge a knife deep into my father's body. I couldn't hold back making a sound this time.

'Did you hear that?' one of the hunters asked.

'Someone else is in here. You told me no one else was in the house.'

'No- no one else is in here,' my father wheezed.

'You are lying. Someone is in this very room. I heard the whimper. Men, search the room and find them.'

Shit.

It took them a total of five seconds before feet appeared in front of the desk. A dirty, ugly face popped up in front of mine. I screamed and clawed at the ground as they pulled me out from under the desk.

'Well, well, well, what do we have here,' Johnny smiled cruelly, 'You are a pretty little thing.'

'Leave her alone, Johnny. It's me you want,' my father begged.

Johnny reached out a cold finger and trailed it down my chin. I shivered from his touch and squirmed when he grabbed my face.

'What is your name?'

'Don't say a word.'

I bit back my tongue at my father's instructions.

Johnny stepped back from me and held his knife up to my father's throat.

'Tell me your name.'

'Arianna.'

He licked his lips in excitement.