Chapter 9: A Whole New World Of Shifters

"Arianna," Cooper hissed into the dark night.

I squirmed against the shifter's body as he pulled me further into the trees for cover. His hot breath on my neck gave me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. His sweaty palm held tightly over my mouth and his grip on my waist was painful.

"Don't even think about using your mind link. Wolf shifters are the worst with that, sneaky assholes," he grumbled in my ear.

'Cooper,' I ignored the warning, 'Someone has me back in the trees.'

"If I take my hand off do you promise not to scream?"

I nodded my head in agreement and I meant it. Me screaming would alert the other wolf shifters and hunters to my presence. I would keep my mouth shut.

"Who are you?" I snarled at him once he released my mouth.

"My name is Lyle and I am a cat shifter."

My blood ran cold. I had never come across a cat shifter before, but my father told me stories of other kinds when I was little.

"What kind of cat?"

"Well considering we are in the mounts, I am a mountain lion," he snapped.

If I thought my hearted was pounding like crazy before I was sadly mistaken. Mountain lions were dangerous creatures. They traveled in packs called prides with two 'Alpha' leaders.

"What is your business in this area, cat?"

"I don't think you are in the position to be interrogating me, mutt. You should be careful how you speak to me."

"On the contrary, it is you who should be more careful," Cooper growled, towering over the cat shifter.

"I thought I told you not to use your pack link."

I grinned.

"Sorry, but an Alpha doesn't take orders from anyone but her mate."

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"I'm sorry, I had no idea. What is an Alpha female doing so far from home?"

"It depends on your answer to my next question. What is your relation to the wolf shifters that have inhabited this cave? Friend or foe?"

"Neither. We have no interest in wolf shifters."

"Then what were you going to do with me?"

"Female shifters are worth a lot of money."

Cooper growled and slammed Lyle into the nearest tree.

"Of course, female Alphas are worth unimaginable amounts of money. But Alpha wolves are too protective of their mates. I wouldn't dream of attempting a kidnap like that. Usually they don't stray too far from their mates," he looked at us curiously, "but he doesn't have an ounce of Alpha in him."

"I am her guard," Cooper tightened his hold on him.

"Where is your mate?"

"He is awaiting me in the cave," I answered cautiously.

The lion shifter looked us over once more. His eyes finally noticed the tranquilizer gun in my hand and the chains hanging over Cooper's shoulder.

"He is one of the wolves they are testing on. How powerful could he be as an Alpha if he allowed himself to be captured like a dog in a cage?"

Cooper squeezed the man's throat tightly. He started choking from the loss of air but I could hardly take pity on him. He insulted my mate. He deserved worse than what Cooper was about to do to him.