Chapter 22: The Bloody Truth

“Arianna,” Teague tugged at my shoulder, trying to get me off the ground, “Arianna, please we need to get out of here. It’s too open. Someone is going to see us.”

I blinked a few times as I tried to focus my eyes on something, anything, but the dead man in front of me. But it was like a five car pileup. You know you shouldn’t be staring but you can’t stop yourself.

My hand shook when I reached out to pull the knife out of his chest. It was ironic now that I had no other weapons to protect myself with than the two Bowie knives that consumed my nightmares. These knives had killed my father, one of my mates, and caused countless hours of pain and scars on my body. Now I had to rely on them to get me out of this mess to safety.

My ears still rang from the screams that left my mouth just moments before. I squeezed my eyes shut tight, trying to drown out the memory of taking someone’s life. How much time had passed since his last breath? I couldn’t even remember when Teague came down from the barn.

Teague pulled me to my feet, “You did what you had to do Arianna. You protected yourself and your mate. Now he can never terrorize you or this pack ever again. His life was meaningless. Don’t be ashamed for taking it.”

My lips quivered as I attempted to hold back the tears. Would my mate be ashamed to learn the truth about me? That I was a killer now? What would my father think if he was still alive? Would he be ashamed too?

“I took a life Teague,” I finally spoke, “Life is so precious no matter the type of soul inside. I am supposed to honor life above all.”

Teague grabbed my shoulders and looked deep into my eyes, “Don’t you dare feel sorry for killing him. You honored the life of your pack and your mate above everything. You took a vow to protect them, to protect all of us.”

I sighed and looked down at my unconscious mate. Now that he was in a deep slumber I could finally feel him through the bond. There was no mad wolf side to keep us apart when he was asleep. I felt each and every steady breath while I watched the rise and fall of his chest.

Teague was right. I couldn’t feel bad for protecting the pack or Dante. Shane was crazy and he would have killed everyone. I had to push his death to the back of my mind where I would deal with it another time. For now I had my pack and mate to think about. I needed to get us out of here and back to the safety of our territory.

“Do you have a plan?” I asked him.

“I was hoping you would,” he admitted “We need to find a way home. That should be our top priority.”

“Are you able to carry Dante?”

He snorted and rolled his eyes at me before picking up his Alpha like he was as light as a feather. Dante weighed a good fifty pounds more than Teague. After all the torture and experimentation I had expected everyone to feel weak like me.

“Close your mouth, you’re drooling,” Teague teased while turning away from the barn to walk away.

“How is this even possible? I know that Dante and I got the full force of experimentation but shouldn’t you be feeling, I don’t know, weaker?” I questioned him while trying to keep up with his pace.

He abruptly came to a stop before looking down at me sadly. I could tell he didn’t really want to tell me but I was his Alpha female. I knew he felt like he owed me an explanation. That was one thing about Teague that I loved. He always told the truth no matter what.

I placed my hand on his arm, “You don’t have to tell me.”

“It’s not that I don’t want to. I just feel ashamed. I don’t feel like I should be allowed to be a part of this pack anymore. I need you to kick me out, Arianna. Please, when we get back you have to make me a rogue.”