Chapter 12: Down Cujo

"When is she going to wake up, doc?"

"I am sorry, Alpha. It could be hours or days. She needs her rest. Her body is trying to repair itself and it is hard to tell how much time she will need."

A growl echoed throughout the room. Someone punched the wall. I wanted to tell them that I was already awake and could hear them but I stayed quiet. The pain in my abdomen kept me from calling out to Dante. I could barely move my body without wanting to scream out in pain.

"I want to know who is responsible for this," he remanded to whoever was in the room with us.

"You left me in charge of her, Alpha Dante. I am sorry that I failed you," Cooper admitted.

Guilt laced his voice. He truly felt responsible for my injuries. But the only ones to blame were Alpha Walter and Theo.

"It's not his fault," I mumbled.

No one heard me. They were all too busy arguing over who was to blame and who should be punished. I slowly reached my arm across my chest and ripped out the IV from my vein. The sheets slid off my body as I pushed myself to sit up.

I quickly sucked in air through my teeth and gritted them through the pain. The floor felt cold under my feet when I placed them on the ground and pushed myself to stand up.

Logan was the first to see me cross the room. He stopped arguing right away and stood silent just watching me. He paused mid-argument with Scott and Jerry. They both turned to see what caused him to shut up.

I shakily raised a hand and softly placed it on Dante's shoulder. His back tensed under my touch but he stopped growling at Cooper.

"Dante," I whispered, "Let him go."

A growl sounded in his throat before he barked out a defiant no. I could tell he wasn't back to my normal mate. He felt I was challenging his position as Alpha by ordering him.

I reached up further and ran my fingers through his soft dark hair. I asked him again to release Cooper. His heartbeat quickened and a shudder coursed through his body.

My breath caught in my throat when he promptly turned around and captured me in his arms. He pressed me tightly into his embrace. My mind went blank as I inhaled his scent and sank into his arms.

I finally felt at home.

His lips brushed against my ear as he muzzled his face against mine. My body felt like it was humming when I felt his strong hand stroke my cheek.

"Everybody out," he growled suddenly.

No one dared to challenge the Alpha in his mood. Not even Logan voiced a complaint about being ordered out of the room. Cooper mumbled a quick 'sorry' before following the others out. The doctor shot Dante a warning glare before shutting the door behind him.

I barely had a chance to take a breath before his lips pressed against mine. His arms snaked around my waist and he once again clutched me tightly to his chest. My hands roamed through his hair.

A moan bubbled in my throat when he pushed my legs up around his waist. He hastily pushed us back into the wall. His lips roughly made their way from my mouth down my neck.

He aggressively bit into his mark in the crook of my neck causing the moan to escape my throat. Warmth spread throughout my whole body from the sensation.

I waited weeks for this, for him to come back to me. Now that he was finally back and I was in his arms I knew something didn't feel right. He was more aggressive than usual.