Chapter 30

Fiora stirred and rolled over trying to get comfortable, as she rolled she hit something hard. She opened her eyes in shock to see Rafael laying next to her on the bed. His full lips were parted slightly as he slept in what appeared to be an uncomfortable position. He was half propped up, sitting and at the same time laying down. 

Rafael looked tired, dark bags were under his eyes and he was unshaven...looking utterly rugged and handsome. Fiora scolded herself for thinking such a thing but she couldn’t help it. There was blood on his collar as if a wound had opened up. Tentatively she reached over and began to move his collar. Rafael inhaled deeply, sighed and reached his arms up. 

Fiora squeaked frightened as he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her on top of him. She tried to struggle against him but it was no use, his arms were like a vice. Trapped in his embrace she let her head fall onto his strong broad chest, trying not to enjoy the feeling. He shifted his body slightly and his rough hands touched the sensitive part of her still healing back. Pain seared through her and she cried out as tears filled her eyes. 

Instantly Rafael’s eyes fluttered open and he blinked trying to right himself. “Fiora” he said groggily as he pushed her away at arms length. He examined her as the pain twisted across her face.  “What is-” 

Fiora cut him off “You big buffoon! You grabbed me in your sleep and grated your hands against my back!” She hastily wiped the tears from her face. 

“What is wrong with your back?” Rafael asked her brows knitting in concern. 

“Nothing really, it’s fine.” Fiora said quickly. She didn’t want to have to relive any pain.

“Fiora. Show me your back.” Rafael said expression hard. 

“No I’m fine.” Fiora began to back away but Rafael captured her hand on the bed. 

“Fiora you are not fine, unless my mere touch brings you to hateful tears...” He trailed off staring at her intensely. 

Fiora laughed bitterly in her head, she wished his touch made her hateful...she wished she could hate him. She could not, no matter how much she tried, instead his touch made her heart beat quicken. 

“I just got a little cut up, it’s nothing to fret over.” She replied lamely. 

“Fiora, ease my mind at least....I want to make sure you heal properly.” Rafael practically whispered, voice full of care. 

Fiora sighed and turned around on the bed crossing her legs in front of her. She reached her hands up to the side of her torn gown, she still hadn’t changed since her kidnapping. Self conscious now her hands shook making it difficult to get her fingers to work. She winced as Rafael’s hand gently fell over hers “let me” he said huskily into her ear. 

He placed both hands on the sides of her neck and slowly traveled downwards. His fingers wrapped around her gowns fabric and he tugged gently bringing it off her shoulders. Goose bumps sprung up all over her light skin as his fingers brushed the side of her arms. He tugged the fabric down harder, freeing her swollen breasts from their coverings. Finally the gown pooled out all around her on the bed and she shivered as the cool air graced her chest. 

Carefully Rafael began to wash the wound, he was gentle and only made Fiora wince once or twice. When he was finished Rafael placed his lips right on the back of her neck sending Fiora’s heart and mind into a frenzy. She was glad she was not facing him for her cheeks burned crimson and a slight intake of breath was audible. 

Rafael brought her gown back up slowly almost begrudgingly and when it was secure on her shoulders she heard the bed springs shift as he moved even closer. In an instant his arms were around her, embracing her from behind. It was gentle for this time he minded her back. 

“I am so sorry...” His velvety voice soothed in her ear. “sorry that I couldn’t get to you in time, sorry for not being there, for not explaining myself...” He trailed off. 

Fiora turned breaking his embrace to face him. “What do you mean?”