Chapter 22

Rafael paced his study as thoughts whirled madly around in his head. He had just kissed Fiora...her soft lips moving over his with need. He kissed her over and over again and he could still feel her soft slim body pressing up against his hard chest. How he tore himself away from her was a miracle!

He had thought once he had her, once he had his fill of her his silly emotions would calm down. But as they lay entangled in the bed exchanging passionate kisses he felt them again. He felt...love. Rafael shook his head trying to dispel the feeling. 

He felt love the minute he had seen her beautiful face, tending to the crops in her fathers field. He had told himself back then that it was simply lust, lust that made him ache to be near her. But as he kissed her...he was overcome by a feeling of possessiveness. He wanted no one else to have her, she was his. 

His plan was to seduce her, he was going to merely kiss her then leave. Just leave her with the her own thoughts swirling around in her head. But he was not able to bring himself to leave after one electrified kiss. He wanted to claim her innocence then and there but he knew there was still too much unanswered questions between them. If he had given into the passion she would no doubt wake up hating him even more than she already did. 

Fiora was jealous of Maria though... a feeling of hope surged through him. Fiora had asked him to kiss her, she begged for it. But Rafael knew she still thought him responsible for her parents death. She would awaken tomorrow morning hating herself for her own bodies treachery. He wanted Fiora to come to him, to willingly give herself not just because he seduced her. 

She had to know the truth, she had to know everything! Everything about the former king, her mother, her father and the war. If he didn’t explain this now....now before the morning he just might loose Fiora. Loose her trust and loose any hope that they might be together. He had to go to her...now.

Rafael took a breath then sprinted out of his study. He was going to make things right once and for all. He would force Fiora to listen to him, he would make her see the truth. He got to the stone stair case and took the steps two at a time, climbing as quickly as he was able. 

Reaching for the door handle he shoved his weight against the door. It didn’t budge and his shoulder sheared with pain. Confused, he tried to open it again. The only way to lock it was from the outside, perhaps she had barricaded the door. 

He knocked loudly “Fiora please, it’s me...I need to speak with you.” No response. “Fiora please! I’m...I’m sorry! Let me in!” Still nothing. “Fiora let me in this instance!” 

He was starting to get angry and frantic. “Fine, I’ll break this door down!” Rafael took a step back and rammed the door. Foot steps coming up the stairs barely distracted him. 

“Rafael.” Erickson’s voice called to him, Rafael ignored it and continued his assault on the door. 

“Rafael!” Erickson called angrily. 

Rafael stepped back again, looking to get a running start but a hand caught his shoulder. “Rafael stop this!” Erickson screamed. Rafael was about to scream back when he turned and looked at Erickson’s bloody face. 

“My god what happened!” Rafael looked up at a gushing wound on the side of Erickson’s skull.  

“I was attacked from behind, knocked unconscious. As soon as I came too...I ran to come find you.” Blood streamed down his face and dripped onto the floor. 

“Fiora.” Rafael breathed. Renewed energy coursed through his body and with a massive kick the door creaked open. A table was pushed up against the door and Rafael easily bounded over it, entering the candle lit room. 

“NO!” Rafael screamed as he looked around the room in terror. Shelves were overturned, fragments of the large mirror were scattered all across the floor, a clear sign of a struggle. What was worse was the amount of blood smeared across the floor and littered on the broken glass.