Chapter 34

Fiora eased herself into the warm water, cringing at how much it stung the cuts all over her. She closed her eyes letting her hair swirl about her scratched up body. 

Rafael had given her a lot to think about and she wished she could just forget about everything. Was he telling her the truth? What motive would he have to lie other than for his own amusement? He had come and rescued her so obviously he cared something for her...right? 

She sighed sinking lower beneath the warm scented bath water. 

So he was engaged to little Maria and also at the same time forced Fiora into accepting a marriage proposal. She felt physically ill at the thought of that, not to mention the maid Sarah had said Fiora was just “another one of Rafael’s whores”. 

Did she care? Did she have real feelings towards him? Fiora draped her arm over the side of the tub and rested her head against it. She was exhausted and she was tired of thinking of Rafael every minute of the day. Slowly she let her eye lids drop and began to doze off. 

“Fiora” Rafael’s velvety voice swam over her body and she shivered. I must be dreaming. Fiora thought to herself smiling. A hand touching her cheek made her eyes snap open and she let out a shriek of terror.  

Kneeling to her side was Rafael, concern was alight in his eyes and his hand was cupping the side of her face. She reached an arm down to push herself up...more terror.  She had fallen asleep in the tub and was still fully nude. 

Gasping loudly she pulled away attempting to cover up her body as her cheeks burned crimson. “What are you doing?! Get out!” She cried looking up at Rafael as he stood. 

“I’m sorry but you were in here for such a long time, I became worried...” He trailed off as his gaze finally fell from her face. His green eyes swept across her half hidden breasts and she felt her whole body flush. 

“I fell asleep! Now please look away and leave!” Fiora was angry and flustered now. 

“Forgive me.” Rafael turned giving her his back but did not retreat. “This is my room after all.” He cleared his throat. 

Fiora looked about herself itching to nosily explore every drawer and corner. She stood up from the bath and shivered violently, she had allowed the water to become ice cold. Her body was still weak from the small amount of food she had and she was worried she might collapse. 

Stepping out of the tub she grabbed hurriedly for her tattered dress and pulled it on. Her fingers shook as she tried to fasten the numerous buttons in the front. The combination of Rafael’s presence in the room, her weak body and the cold water made her fingers work against her. 

Fiora let out a loud frustrated cry as she fumbled feverishly over the buttons. A large hand rested upon her shoulder and she whipped around to see Rafael inches away. She said nothing as he reached for the buttons and began to do them up one by one. 

She hadn’t dried off and the shear underdress clung to her body seductively. When he finished the last button he didn’t remove his hands, he just lingered there. Fiora swallowed afraid of what would happen next. 

Rafael took a step towards her and she instinctively backed up, then again and again. They proceed with this same dance until her back hit a wall and she looked up into his face. His midnight black hair swooped handsomely over to one side and his emerald green eyes stared down at her body. Rafael’s hands came up on both sides of her head pressed against the wall, trapping her there. His breathing was heavy and he leaned in towards her, pressing the full length of his body against her wet frame. 

A muscle jumped in his strong jaw and he closed his eyes as if willing himself for control. He was now just inches away from her lips and he hovered there breathing hard. Fiora matched him, breathing in synch and her heart beat wildly in her chest. 

She jumped as he banged his fist against the wall on the right side of her head. Rafael exhaled loudly with his eyes still closed “You should leave me.” His voice sounded strangled. 

“You do not know how tempting you are to me.” Fiora stared up into his pained face unsure of what she really wanted. 

“I can not keep my control with you. If you stay any longer I’m afraid of what I might do to you.” Fiora shivered at the thought and quickly slipped beneath his arm. 

She stole one last look at him crumpled against the wall before fleeing from the room.