Chapter 17

Fiora couldn’t help but enjoy the life she was now living. But at the same time she felt immense regret that she was not in mourning for her parents. It didn’t feel right waking up everyday in silken sheets, it didn’t even feel right to smile. Each smile she allowed herself was followed by a twinge of immense guilt. 

She still grieved the loss of her parents but she knew exactly what her mother would have said to her “Don’t you dare cry over spilt milk Fiora, get on with your life. Don't dwell over things you can not change.” 

And she knew her strong father would tell her “Oh Fee” Fee was a nickname he had for her since she was little. “Hold your head up high little one, you’re stronger than you think you are.” 

Two weeks had passed since her agreement with Rafael and ever since her encounter with Sarah the rude maid she had not seen him. It didn’t matter much to her though for she busied herself in the kitchen with Eric’s mother. Eric had become her friend and on the rare occasions that he was not busy they would stroll the castle together, play chess and talk of mundane things. 

Although that being said Fiora still felt lost, as if she was living in some sort of dream state. That one day she would wake up in her old bed with the scratchy sheets and greet her mother as she left the house to complete her daily chores. She prayed every night that, that would happen but she knew better. 

Today Fiora had decided that she would venture into the gardens, the sun was shining high in the sky and shone invitingly into her bedroom. She had not gone outside since she was held hostage in Rafael’s castle. 

Not knowing which way was the exit to the gardens, Fiora wandered the castle until she came upon an open door near the kitchen. Stepping through it she found herself standing in an open courtyard, the grass was a lush thick green and the sun warmed her cheeks. She smiled up at the sun closing her eyes, “how is it in heaven mom and dad?” She asked quietly. 

Laughter drew her attention to a small barn to her right about twenty feet away. Curiously she made her way over to it and peeked inside making sure to keep herself hidden. Inside the barn was about ten stables, housing some fine large horses, but that was not what brought Fiora here. 

A young boy of about 10 years of age stood next to a brown horse with a luscious mane. Next to the boy stood the unmistakeable broad shoulders of Rafael. His large hand slowly caressed the mares long face as he brought a cube of sugar up to its mouth. The young boy said something to Rafael that Fiora couldn’t distinguish and Rafael’s deep velvety laughter swam over to her. He placed a large hand upon the boys light brown hair and ruffled it affectionately. 

Fiora had no idea a killer could be so gentle and kind. “Keep me posted Matthew!” Rafael’s deep voice boomed as he made his way towards the exit. “Of course sir!” The young boy squeaked out after him. Fiora quickly realized Rafael was headed to where she was hiding and frantically she picked up her skirts and fled back to the door. 

Closing it behind her she collapsed against it sighing heavily. She shouldn’t have stayed watching Rafael for so long, but she couldn’t bring herself to look away from the sweet interaction.

 Hungry for another view of him she cracked the door open slightly, a few feet away standing in the sun was Rafael. Muscles rippled in his back as he lifted a hand up to run his fingers through his thick black hair. He turned his head to the side and his strong jaw  clenched in what Fiora could only assume was anger. Her eyes traveled up to his full lips and warmth rushed into her cheeks. Angrily Fiora slammed the door once more, angry that her own body was betraying her. 

_________________________________________________________________

Hello everyone :) (I always like to leave a small comment here lol) Hope you like this new chapter, I had a lot of fun writing it even though it's a bit short. 

But as always welcome new fans I'm so glad to have you on board! And as always leave me your thoughts in a comment and continue to vote you guys are amazing! 

P.s. I'm almost at 6000 views and i've made it to 380 on the "what's hot" list! Thanks times a million I cant believe I begun this only 14 days ago! I couldn't have done it without you guys!