Chapter 36

Fiora paced her room replaying the moment between her and Rafael over and over. When she was pined against his body and his lips were so close to hers...she wanted to kiss him. She wanted him to kiss her...he was showing so much restraint it practically killed her to watch the pain fly across his face. He wanted her then, she knew it...she could feel it herself. 

But there was something more pressing she wanted to discuss with Rafael and that was  her abduction. Dare she return to Rafael’s room? 

“I can not keep my control with you. If you stay any longer I’m afraid of what I might do to you.” His deep pained voiced floated around in her head. 

She heaved a sigh and headed back down to Rafael’s room. Reaching for the door handle the curiosity of what he might do to her crossed her mind but she continued anyways. 

Rafael was laying down on his large bed stretched out with hands behind his head. His eyes were staring lifelessly at the ceiling and she wanted to stand there forever just to observe him. 

“...Rafael...?” She cleared her throat and watched as he shot up from the bed. 

“Fiora!” He sounded so surprised and Fiora took a step back instinctively. 

“I have a pressing matter I would like to speak to you about.” She stood with her legs apart trying to look calm and strong. 

“Listen, I’m sorry for what just happened...I just...you-” Rafael sputtered running a hand roughly through his thick mane.

“No it’s not about...that.” Fiora felt a blush rise to her cheeks. 

“It’s about when I was held hostage.” Rafael winced at her words.

“Please sit” He patted the bed as he took a seat himself. 

Fiora walked over to him but did not sit down “While I was held captive there was a woman who helped me.” Fiora began her tale telling of the dark haired woman who fed her, cleaned her wounds and warned her of Clarence. 

Rafael listened to her talk staring into her eyes the entire time. When she drew to a close mentioning that she believed there might be other prisoners still there. 

“I know that Erickson has had the dark haired girl looked after, she will be staying at the castle for a while. She was apparently my fathers mistress and now has no where to go. As for the other prisoners I will inquire if Erickson had the cells searched. He and some of my guards came with me to rescue you but I did not personally search anywhere. I just wanted to get you and get out as fast as I was able.” Rafael paused seemingly self conscious that he had been rambling.

“I see. Well thank you. I would like to personally offer my thanks to that woman now.” Fiora turned to leave.

“Wait.” Rafael stood up with a flourish. “Would you do me the honor of joining me for dinner tonight?” 

Fiora was so taken aback by the question that she just stood there for a moment just staring at him. 

“What?” She sputtered, as always she was unable to keep her questions back.

“Join me for dinner?” He asked again drawing himself up in front of her. 

“Yes.” she answered automatically. 

“I will come fetch you later tonight.” He made a deep bow. 

Fiora nodded and left the room heart racing. 

-----

Later that evening Fiora had gone in search of Clarence’s mistress to thank her for saving her life. Erickson told her that she had left the castle, no doubt returning to some relative or friend. She was going to go out to the village and search for her that very moment but Erickson instantly advised against it as if reading her mind. 

The sun finally crept its way down the sky and the appropriate time for dinning was fast approaching. Carefully she donned a plum evening gown from her trunk and took care lacing up the back. It showed off her figure, accentuating her ample bosom with a modest v to the neckline. Her hair curled around her shoulders and she braided a small section in the back to draw the hair away from her face.  

She paused in her examination to scold herself. “Since when do you care for elegant gowns and the way your hair looks? What happened to the hard working farm girl?” She asked herself. She knew the answer to that question but would never dare to answer it aloud. 

A soft knock sounded at her door “come in.” Fiora called out too loudly letting her nerves get the better of her. 

Rafael swooped into the room dressed casually but elegantly. He looked every bit a king  as he stood taking up the entire door frame. 

“Shall we?” He inquired flashing her an unexpected dazzling grin.