Chapter 7

It was mid afternoon now, or so Fiora guessed by glancing out the small window. She was becoming restless for a run in with Rafael. The first time she had heard foot steps her heart leapt and she crouched behind the door ready to strike. Sadly though it was merely a footman who knocked and announced he had brought her some food. The second time there was footsteps and a pause outside the door. No knock just swift retreating steps back down the stairs. Was that Rafael? Fiora wondered. She listened to the noises of the castle all around her. Once she heard a dog bark and she heard the sounds of what she only guessed to be a scuffle. The only words she was able to make out was “regret”.  

Fiora paced the room, unsure of what to do with herself. Then she heard footsteps again, quickly she tiptoed to the door and pressed her ear against it. She heard the ruffle of fabric and the floor creak as if her visitor had shifted their weight. She strained as she tried to hear outside, she heard the rise and fall of someone breathing. Her own breathing fell in time with the visitors outside. She heard a heavy sigh and at the instant knew it was Rafael. 

The lock rattled for an instant and Fiora pounced backwards ready for the door to swing open. But instead she heard footsteps retreating once more. She was so tired of waiting, tired of hearing footsteps leaving, she wanted this confrontation to happen now. 

Angrily she began to pound upon the door. “Rafael! Rafael! I wish to speak with you this instant!” The footsteps paused and she pressed her ear against the wooden door once more. Slow footsteps made their way back up the stairs, but slowly and lightly. She awaited the lock to jiggle but it did not and she heard no sound from outside.

 “Rafael, I know it’s you, I need to speak to you.” Fiora called out, never being known for her patience. Another pause to listen...

“Rafa-..” She began to call out but was interrupted when the door flew open causing her to loose her balance and tumble to the floor. 

“Fiora?” Rafael questioned looking down at her. “What are you doing on the floo-...” Fiora composed herself quickly and grabbed for the letter opener that laid beside her on the floor. Before Rafael could finish his question she lunged forwards slashing blindly at his face. 

Rafael grunted as the sharp blade split a line down his left cheek. He brought a hand up to the stinging cut, drawing his hand away he saw blood running down his fingers. His wolf like eyes flickered up through dark lashes and locked onto Fiora. 

Her heart was beating in her ears as adrenaline pumped through her veins. Her eyes flickered back and forth from the wound she has just delivered and his dark smoldering gaze. He made a lung for her but she danced out of his grip and took safe haven behind a small table and chairs. 

“I have some..” Her voice was shaken and she swallowed “questions for you...” She held the letter opener straight out in front of her like a sword. 

“What makes you think I’m going to answer those questions?” Rafael growled as he stalked her around the table.  "What makes you think I'll be hospitable? Especially now that you've injured the King."

 Ignoring him she focused on keeping her hands from shaking as they moved slowly across from each other.

Fiora felt like she was dancing with Rafael, when she turned left he turned left on the opposite side of the table. His arms were outstretched on either side of him just waiting to capture her. 

“Stay back.” She warned following his movements with the blades tip. Rafael dashed to his right leaping over the side of the table. Fiora squealed and pulled out a chair behind her causing Rafael to trip. But he grasped the bottom of her gown and she came tumbling down with him. 

Frantically she closed her eyes and stabbed with her weapon. She felt it come in contact with something. Breathing hard she turned to face Rafael, eyes wide in shock.

_________________________________________________________________________

Ok a shorter chapter I'm sorry :/ I already uploaded twice today so try not to hate me too much :p

Also thanks for all the views and positive comments! You guys are awesome!