Chapter 18

Hey guys check out the youtube video I have added (Right underneath the cover picture)

it's the song that I was listening to while writing this.

I think it fits the mood of this story perfectly. 

<3 Dani

_________________________________________________________________

Rafael found it harder and harder each day not to encounter Fiora. He was desperate for just a glimpse of her, but he had made a promise. Eric often reported her activity to him, for he had him keep a close eye on her. Rafael was glad to hear that they were quickly becoming friends and at the same time was extremely jealous of this. There was a twinge of worry that Fiora might fall for the kindhearted Eric but he knew Eric would never betray him like that. He had his own scruples with Nora his childhood sweetheart but that didn’t make Rafael any less annoyed. 

Simply thinking about Fiora smiling at anyone made him grumble with jealousy. He didn’t want anyone to get her smiles, anyone to hear her laughter...he wanted them all. He wanted her, he wanted to make her his but she would never have him. The reality of it all hit him hard and it took all of his control not to take it out on those around him. 

But he had a plan, he would seduce her and gain her affection. Then once he had her perhaps he would be able to get her out of his mind. Perhaps then he could get his life back into control and once more become the calm collected King everyone knew. 

He pushed the large stack of parchment paper off of his desk and groaned completely frustrated with himself. He stood up needing a distraction so he left the room and headed for the gardens. 

The sun was out and large puffy white clouds were littered across the sky. He pushed his hands in his pockets and began to walk slowly just taking in the smells of the earth around him. Rafael loved being outside, he was in his element. He was about to head for the stables to check on his beautiful pregnant mare when a small noise caught his attention. His foot froze in the air ready to take a step but underneath his hovering boot was a small orange cat. 

The cat stared up at him with gray green eyes and a little pink nose. It let out a soft strangled meow, almost as if in question. It couldn’t have been more than 2 months old and it looked dirty if not hurt. Quickly he retracted his foot and bent down extending a finger for the kitten to inspect. It inched forwards sniffed then brought up a paw to playfully bat at it. Rafael let out a genuine smile “Little fighter aren’t you?” He scooped it up and held it up to his face for further inspection. Its gray green eyes stared into Rafael’s emerald eyes and it let out a soft meow once more. 

Rafael let out a gruff cry as the kitten inched forwards and bit the tip of his nose. “Hey you! We’ve only just met!” He tickled its head with the tip of his finger and it meowed again. “You know normally I wouldn’t let someone off that easy” 

“Oh but he’s just a big softy at heart” Fiora’s sweet voice sounded behind him. “Don’t let him scare you.” 

----------------------------------------------------------------

Fiora saw him standing in the garden hunched over, at first she thought something was wrong but he straighten up quickly. In his hands was small orange kitten that mewed sweetly up at him. She couldn’t help but be bewitched by the sight, the small frail kitten in Rafael’s large strong hands. They were two complete opposites. 

She watched as he lifted the kitten to his face and it lashed its small jaw around the tip of his nose. He yelped and withdrew it only to then tickle its head affectionately. Fiora found her feet carrying her forwards and soon she  was right behind Rafael’s muscular back. 

“You know normally I wouldn’t let someone off that easy” Rafael’s deep voice contrasted  perfectly the with kitten’s high pitched meows. 

“Oh he’s just a big softy at heart” Fiora smiled down at the feeble creature. “Don’t let him scare you.”

Rafael looked over at Fiora with a smile on his face that she found infectious. They smiled at each other and then down at the kitten. 

“This one’s a fighter.” Rafael smiled jousting his finger at its plush belly which it playfully batted aside once more. 

“Awe he looks a mess, did you just find him?” She inquired looking into Rafael’s eyes.

“Mhm” he murmured not looking at Fiora. 

“Can I hold him?” she ventured. Rafael glanced up at her “Be careful.” He said slightly possessive. Fiora mearly nodded and scooped the kitten up into her arms. It nuzzled into her chest and mewed contentedly. 

She smiled and looked up into Rafael’s smoldering gaze. The smile slowly faded from her lips as the realization of who she was standing next to really struck her. Bitterness replaced the happy feeling they had just shared. 

“You may keep him if you’d like.” Rafael said averting his gaze. 

“I’d like that.” Fiora cleared her throat feeling awkward. 

Rafael nodded, turned on his heels and made his way back into the castle. 

“What just happened...?” Fiora whispered.