Chapter 37

Chapter 37 

Hello my lovelies! I hope you enjoy this next chapter...the story is drawing to a close but not quite yet! 

For future reference would you guys prefer longer chapters but uploading less often or do you guys like the short everyday uploads? Let me know :)

~Miisaki

______________________________________

Rafael extended the crook of his arm to Fiora and she looped her arm in tentatively. She stole a side glance at him and realized he was staring down at her with his usual smoldering expression. 

“You look lovely.” He smiled brilliantly again, bringing her reluctant smile to the surface. 

“Better than this afternoons attire?” Fiora questioned devilishly. 

Rafael smirked “I would prefer this afternoons attire as a matter of fact.” He grabbed a small handful of the plum fabric on her shoulder “Less material suits you.” 

Fiora’s cheeks burned brightly and she swatted his hand away. “You pig!” She yelled but couldn’t bring the smile off her face.

“Well in any case...you look quite dashing yourself.” She finished,  attempting to change the subject. 

“My thanks, my lady-” He lifted her hand to his lips and pressed a small kiss there. “but I am nothing compared to your beauty.” 

Fiora let her smile fall as she realized how strange this was. They had been enemies from the start...he even tried to assault her earlier today! What was she doing? Openly flirting with him, exchanging smiles...it felt wrong.

At the same time she knew deep down that it felt right, so right in fact she wanted these moments to last a lifetime. 

“Well we could stand here and exchange compliments all night or we could dine.” Rafael posed it as a question “Since I outrank you... I choose to dine! Lets go.” He seemed so light hearted, almost like a little boy and Fiora couldn’t help but smile. 

“Of course your majesty.” Fiora bowed mockingly. 

They made their way to a large dinning room that was set elegantly with fine silver. Rafael played every bit the role of the gentleman, he pulled out her chair, poured her wine and even chatted of pleasant things. 

They talked easily together about nothing and everything. Fiora felt herself opening up and was able to freely speak her mind. He even made her laugh on many occasions and they smiled like fools. 

Half way through the meal the door swung open, crashing loudly against the wall. Fiora and Rafael both jumped at the intrusions. Swinging around Fiora saw none other than little Maria standing in the door way. 

Her dress was light red in color and was plastered against her small frame. The neckline plunged and her small breasts heaved over the sides. There was a ransom in jewels around her small bird like neck and her flaxen hair was swept up in an elegant up do. She looked like a common whore. Fiora thought angrily as she watched Maria sweep into the room. 

“I didn’t know we were having company...” She floated over to Rafael’s side and peaked a kiss on the side of his face, at the contact Rafael went rigid, eyes loosing all emotion.

“Maria.” Rafael said slowly as if trying to keep his anger in check. 

Before he could continue Maria squeaked out “ Oh Fee-yo-rah was it?” She asked drawing out the syllables annoyingly. 

“Yes, Mah-ree-ah.” Fiora answered instantly and Maria merely tilted an eyebrow in her direction. 

“Maria...you were not invited to dinner.” Rafael had his eyes closed now, the universal sign of him trying to stay calm. 

She gasped in mock dismay “Is that any way to treat your fiancée?” Her bottom lipped pouted. 

“Maria. You know I’ve called off the wedding.” Anger finally leaked its way into his voice. 

“Oh nonsense! You just have cold feet darling.” She snaked a finger out and traced it seductively along his jaw. 

Fiora roared with anger inside her head but tried to keep a clam expression. The little bird wanted a reaction and she wasn’t going to get one! 

“The way you kissed me the other day...so full of passion...how could you call off the wedding?” Her beak like nose was raised hautily in the air and her piercing blue eyes watched Fiora. 

“Don’t try to deny it.” She cooed into his ear angling her head for a kiss.

Fiora rose instantly and fled out of the room as tears began to spill over uncontrollably.