chapter twelve

They get to an old house and Sam walks down the stairs, holding Evie, walking to Dean who is by a fuse box.

"Did you strip enough wire?" Sam asks.

"Yes, I stripped enough wire." Dean says.

"All right." Sam sighs. He attaches the cables to the stripped wires. Electricity crackles and the lights come on.

"See? Told you." Dean says.

Bobby walks in and Sam sits at the table, putting Evie on his lap. Dean and Bobby stand next to the table.

"Well, isn't this cozy?" Bobby sarcastically asks.

"Yeah. Well, Motel 6 just ain't leaving the light on anymore." Sam says.

"Well, I'm taking a page out of Frank Devereaux's Bible on this. Everybody's out to get you-- paranoia is just plain common sense." Bobby says.

"Weeks, guys. Weeks. We've been living with cold showers, cold Hot Pockets, cold freaking everything. I mean, this is the bottom that we're living in. You guys get that, right?" Dean asks.

"How many big mouths are out there, running card traces, like Chet, or hunting us down God knows what ways? No, now's not the time to be laying our bed rolls out on the grid. Not if we can help it." Bobby says. Just then the lights go off so Sam turns on a battery powered lamp.

"That's just great. This is stupid. Our quality of life is crap. We got Purgatory's least wanted everywhere, and we're on our third "The World's Screwed" issue in, what, three years? We've steered the bus away from the cliff twice already." Dean says.

"Someone's got to do it." Sam says.

"What if the bus wants to go over the cliff?" Dean asks.

"You think the world wants to end?" Sam asks.

"I think that if we didn't take its belt and all its pens away each year that, yeah, the whole enchilada would offend itself already." Dean says.

"Stop trying to wrestle with the big picture, son. You're gonna hurt your head." Bobby says. Dean gets a beer and lies down on the couch. "So, what's the guff?" Bobby asks, sitting down.

"Well, uh, there have been a rash of sightings all over the southern pine barrens-- a strange, fast moving, human like creature. Locals even have a name for it." Sam informs, handing Bobby the article he printed earlier.

"The Jersey Devil? I thought that was just local tall tale crap." Bobby says.

"The area's history of sightings goes back more than two centuries. Some accounts gave it bag wings, others horns, a... a tail." Sam gives Bobby another printed article. "And, uh, oh yeah, a horse's head." He hands Bobby another article.

"Of course, the sketch looks more like a Chewbacca head." Dean says.

"Sounds kind of mixed up." Bobby says.

"Yeah, kind of like it should be fighting a Japanese robot." Dean says.

"Well, mixed up or not, it sounds like it might just have a body count." Sam says. He gives Bobby a newspaper article.