chapter thirty

Dean got to Kermit, Texas where Sam is since he used a burner phone to trick Sam that Amelia texted him and Sam just stayed. Dean is holding a sleeping Evie. He knocks on the door and soon Sam opens it.

Sam goes to shut the door, but stops, still an angry look on his face because of his brother, but he can't ignore his child so he opens the door back up.

"Who did you expect?" Dean asks, walking in.

"Long drive." Sam says, shutting the door.

"Well, I wouldn't have had to make it if you hadn't have hung up on me." Dean says.

"Yeah, well, I heard all I needed to hear." Sam says.

"No, you heard what you wanted to hear. I told you Benny wasn't killing. Hell, I watched him end the fangbanger that was." Dean says.

"How about Martin? How did he end that?"

"Stupid-- just like I said it would. Crazy son of a bitch didn't give Benny a choice. It was self defense."

"Seriously, Dean? That's the story you're going with? That the vampire was the real victim here?"

"Hey, like it or not, that's the truth, okay? There was a time when that actually meant something."

"Yeah, yeah. No kidding."

"What does that mean?"

"You think this is just about Benny?"

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"What the hell do you think I'm talking about?"

"Amelia? Oh, come on, man. I sent you that text cause I needed you to-- to--"

"You needed me to what? To tear ass to Texas? To be afraid that what happened to Jessica, what happened to... everybody that we care about might have happened to her?"

"You were gonna kill Benny. What was I supposed to do?"

"Is that what we are? You save a vampire by making me believe that the woman I love might be dead?"

"What do you want to hear, Sam? That I was wrong? Fine. I was wrong. Okay? But if you'd have just heard me out, if you'd have trusted me, all of this could have been avoided."

"You didn't want me to trust you. You wanted me to trust Benny, and I can't do that."

"Right. Okay, well, then, what the hell do we do now?"

"That depends. It depends on you. On whether or not you're done with him."

"Well, honestly, I don't know."

"Glad I made the drive." Dean mumbles. "You gonna treat your kid right and leave anger out when being with her or do I have to take her?"

Sam rolls his eyes and grabs Evie from Dean, holding her as she stirs before she rests her head on his shoulder staying asleep.

Dean leaves.

+++

Evie and Sam are sitting on a bench at a park while she eats some ice cream. They jump once they see Cas next to them suddenly.