chapter forty-three

Dean and Evie are outside of the motel working on Baby. Evie woke up early for no reason and was doing some school before either brother ever woke up. She asked Dean if she could help with the Impala after he told her that he was going to work on it.

He asked if she knew anything about cars and Evie told him that he can teach her. She didn't state out loud that she's mostly asking to get out of doing school, but she does want to spend time with him after months of not being able to because of the Mark taking a bad effect on him and then him being a demon and everything.

So now the two stand at the hood of the Impala while Dean walks Evie through what he does, letting her do some stuff, too.

"Yep. Yeah, just like that." Dean says, watching Evie work on the car. He goes to help her, but stops, but leaves his hands mid between what she's working on and him. "Uh-- ah! Yeah. No, like that." He lets out a sigh and wrings his hands together to stop himself from taking the tool away from her, knowing she isn't doing anything wrong, just not how he usually does it. He has to stop himself from reaching out again, but leans closer.

Evie turns to her uncle.

"You're hovering again." Evie states.

"Sorry." Dean says, backing away a bit and putting his hands to his side.

Soon they finish and Dean looks over it, nodding in approval.

"You did good for a newbie." Dean compliments making Evie grin proudly. Dean smiles at her, brushing her nose, getting grease on it.

Dean shuts the hood and they go to the trunk. Dean looks around before opening it and opening the hidden compartment, putting the gun they use to hold it up, up.

Sam walks out as Dean is going through the stuff.

"Hey." Sam calls, shutting the door and walking over to them. "How long have you two been up?"

"Long enough to find us a case." Dean states.

"Long enough to... I take it that means you're feeling back to normal?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, whatever normal is in our world." Dean says.

"I helped with the car." Evie grins at her dad. Sam chuckles, looking at all the grease on her face.

"I see that." Sam says. He grabs a rag from the trunk and starts cleaning her face off as Dean starts talking.

"So, uh, right here." Dean says, picking up a newspaper and pointing to an article. He holds the paper up for Sam who is still wiping Evie's face while he reads the article. "A teacher in an all girls school went missing in Flint, Michigan. She was heading to her car, disappeared, and nobody's seen her since."

"Dean, there's nothing here that even remotely suggests there is a case." Sam says.

"There is nothing that even remotely suggest there isn't a case. Boom!" Dean smiles.

"Come on, man." Sam sighs, now cleaning Evie's hands off.

"Sam, out there, hunting. It's the only normal I know." Dean says. "We got work to do." Dean tosses the rifle into the trunk before closing it.