chapter seven

The three Winchesters watch as Bobby sits at his desk and drinks.

"Say something." Sam whispers to his brother.

"No. You." Dean whispers back.

"No. You." Sam whispers.

"Evie." They both whisper, looking down at her.

"Why me?" Evie whispers.

"You're too cute for him to get mad at." Dean whispers.

"You all just gonna stand there like the ugly girl at the prom, or you gonna pitch in?" Bobby asks before Evie can reply to her uncle. "This so-called Eve, mother of whatever, ain't gonna gank herself. What's wrong with you two?" He asks the brothers.

"Bobby, you haven't slept in days." Dean states.

"I sleep. What are you, my wife now?" Bobby snarks.

"I'm just saying that, you know, taking five might be a good thing." Dean says.

"For whom?" Bobby asks.

"Look, Bobby, it was-- it was tough for all of us, seeing Rufus go like that." Sam says.

"You think this--? This ain't about Rufus." Bobby says.

"Bobby, he wasn't just a poker buddy." Dean says.

"You know when I knew Rufus was done for? The day I met him. The only question was, who first-- him or me? Now, you want to stand there and therapize, or you want to get me some coffee?" Bobby asks. "make it Irish."

They walk out, Sam holding Evie's hand.

"Well, he's doing fantastic." Dean sarcastically mutters.

"Yeah, this isn't about Rufus at all." Sam sarcastically agrees.

"Well, what do you want to do? I mean, we can't just sit here and watch him poop out his liver." Dean says.

"Well, we could get him out of the house. There's a job."

"Really? What've you got?" Dean asks and Sam pulls a newspaper clipping from his jacket.

"Look. Chester, Pennsylvania. Three people got kicked off in the last week, all freaky. Last guy got karate chopped by his garage door. And these are all blood relatives." Sam says.

"What are you thinking, family curse?" Dean asks.

"Could be."

"Hey, grumpy--" Dean turns to talk to Bobby, jumping when he finds the older man right behind him. "You, uh--?"

"I don't want to do crap. Leave me alone. Just, get out of my house, both of you. You're driving me nuts."

"Bobby." Dean says.

"Now! For the love of Pete." Bobby grumbles.

+++