chapter thirty-one

Sam and Dean got back to the motel to drop Evie off some food before going to the LARPing camp.

She's almost finished as they get ready to leave.

"Okay, pumpkin, we're going to a, uh..." Sam trails off, not sure what to call it.

"Nerd Kingdom." Dean says. "Talk to the queen of nerds."

"Who?" Evie asks.

"Charlie." Dean answers and Evie sits up.

"Ooh. Can I go?" She asks.

"Baby, we're working." Sam tells her.

"But I wanna see Charlie. And it's not like you've never taken me somewhere to ask questions before." Evie says. She gives them both puppy eyes.

"Fine." Sam relents.

+++

They get to the camp and renaissance music plays and people are in costumes. There's people pretending to fight with mock weapons, a woman is playing a harp, and many other people are talking and strolling around. There's colorful banners that have crests on them. There's signs that point the way to the dungeon, privies, and stockade. A large banner reads: Moondoor: The Battle of Kingdoms. 

"I, Boltar the Furious, bind you to this stock so that all of Moondoor may see you for what you are. A thief." Boltar states, talking to a guy in the stocks as the Winchesters was the roleplay.

"My Shadow Orc brethren will descend from the Black Hills and the tents of Mo--" He stops as his fake teeth fall out and onto the ground.

"Uh, hold." Boltar orders. He picks up the fake teeth and brushes them off.

"Thanks, Gerry. Sorry." The Orc says.

"Yeah, no problem, Monty." Boltar, or rather Gerry, tells him. He puts Monty's teeth back in Monty's mouth and Monty gives him a thumbs up.

"Resume." Gerry orders.

"And the tents of Moondoor will be bathed in blood as we unseat the queen of the Moons from the throne she stole from the rightful heir. The Shadow King. And you--" Gerry throws a red bean bag at Monty, hitting him in the head.

"Silentium! Serve your time with honor, heathen. And if you need to use the chamber pot, stomp your feet thrice." Gerry tells him. He starts to walk away, but the brothers stop him.

"Excuse me. Hi. Uh, you are a LARPer, right?" Dean asks.

"I prefer the term "interactive literaturist."" Gerry says.

"Right. Uh, I am Special Agent Rosewood. This is Special Agent Taggart." Dean says, him and Sam showing their badges.

"Hold!" Gerry shouts. "Um, guys, we're not doing the whole genre mash up thing this weekend. We only do that every third month."

"The..." Dean trails off, confused.

"Come again?" Sam asks.