chapter twenty-seven

Dean is leaning against the Impala, checking his phone, while Evie sits on the hood of the Impala, chipping at her nail polish. Sam walks up carrying a bag of food and three drinks.

"Heads up." Sam calls, handing Dean one of the drinks before handing Evie one. He walks to the passenger side.

"I caught wind of a case on this police scanner. Sounds like our kind of thing." Dean says.

"I wasn't even gone 10 minutes." Sam says.

"Okay. That matters why?" Dean asks.

"I don't know, Dean. How about because you haven't said a word to me since Prentiss Island? And now, what? You want me to shut up and ride shotgun and act like nothing happened?" Sam asks.

"You want to talk about Benny? Fine. Let's talk." Dean says.

Evie sighs, jumping off the hood of the car. She gets in the backseat and shuts the door, wishing the car was sound proof so she didn't have to hear them fight again. Ever since they found out that Dean is friends with a vampire, the air has been even more tense between the brothers than before. Evie hates when they fight, wishing they could just get along for more than 2 days.

"Okay. How about he's a vampire?" Sam says.

"He's also the reason I'm topside and not roasting on a spit in Purgatory. Anything else?"

"Don't pretend I don't get it. I know you had to do what you had to down there."

"I highly doubt you get anything about Purgatory."

"But you're out now, and Benny's still breathing. Why?"

"He's my friend, Sam."

"And what about my friend, Amy? She was what? Cause you sure as hell didn't have a problem ganking her."

"Well, I guess people change, don't they? We let that werewolf Kate go, didn't we?"

"She was different. she-- you think Benny's different? He tell you he's not drinking live blood or something? And you believe him. Wow. Okay. You know, you're right. People do change."

"Yeah. I got a vampire buddy and you turn your phone off for a year."

"Don't turn this on me."

"Look, Benny slips up and some other hunter turns his light out, so be it."

"But it's not gonna be you, right?"

"You coming or not?" Dean asks, getting in the car.

Sam takes a deep breath before getting in the car and sitting beside the person he really doesn't want to right now. He glances back at Evie seeing her messing with the little buttons on the lid, pushing them in before opening the lid slightly and popping them back up just to repeat the process. Her lower lip is jutted slightly out so it looks like she's pouting while there's a stressed, sad look in her eyes.

Sam sighs, knowing she hates fighting, especially between the two brothers. He wishes they could stop for her sake, but he knows how hard it is to control tempers and both brothers aren't very skilled in that department.