chapter ten

Sam found out that Dean killed Amy so he took Evie and left his brother.

The two are currently in a town where Sam is working a case. They're at a cafe and are ordering.

"Just coffee, black, extra shot." Sam tells the waiter. Evie points to what she wants on the menu. "She'll have some orange juice and waffles." The waiter leaves.

"You always wear a suit to get your palm read?" They head and look to see Dean walk up.

"Deanie!" Evie cheers, grinning.

"Hey, kiddo. How's my favorite shortcake doing?" Dean asks.

"Good." She answers.

"That's good." Dean smiles at her and ruffles her hair. He turns to his brother. "Not surprised you caught this one. It's on every morning zoo in America. You mind?" Sam moves his hands noncommittally and Dean sits across from his brother.

"So, I, uh, went to the scene. Wires, speakers, enough E.M.F. to make your hair stand up. Don't even think about getting a reading. Oh, and, uh, if this hadn't been two psychics that bit it... I would have just chalked this up as being, uh, dumb and accidental. And I know, I know. This whole town's supposedly calling ghosts. But that takes some serious spell work and some serious mojo. The only books this lady had were Oprah crap. When was the last time you actually saw a real psychic? Huh? Pamela? Missouri? Anyway, this is good. And, uh, how you been?"

"And what can I get for you?" The waiter asks, returning with Sam's coffee and Evie's juice.

"Uh, pancakes, side of pig. Coffee, black." Dean says.

"Fantastic. You are a virile manifestation of the divine." The waiter says, leaving.

"What the hell did he say to me?" Dean asks. Sam scoffs, shaking his head. "Oh, it's funny? Yeah, no. Go ahead. Laugh it up, Sam. Hilarious."

"Dean..."

"Oh, he speaks."

"Look..."

"Sam. Look, we're both here. All right, the chance of either one of us leaving while people are still dying out there--" Dean makes a 0 sign with his hand, clicking his tongue. "You might as well bite the bullet and work with me on this one."

"I don't know if I can."

"I'm not asking you to open up a can of worms, okay? I'm not even asking you where the hell you've been the past week and a half."

"Good."

"I'm just saying, let's try and stop the killings. That's it."

"Please, daddy." Evie gives Sam puppy dog eyes. She misses her uncle.

"Okay." Sam caves.

"Okay? Good." Dean says and Evie grins. A woman stops at their table and stares at the brothers. "Can I help you?"

"You're the brothers from the--" Sam cuts her off.

"Oh, no, no, no, no. The Winchester guys on the news a couple weeks back? No-- we get that a lot."

"Yeah, no. Those depraved killers got put down like the dogs that they were. Us on the other hand, we're completely harmless." Dean says and the woman laughs.