chapter thirty-nine

They're at the bunker and Sam is in the library, researching, and Evie is on his lap. She's been back for about a week and frequently wakes up from nightmares, the brothers having to calm her down and one of them stays with her the rest of the night. Sometimes both will if she refuses to let one go.

She has transitioned from not wanting to be around anybody to being practically glued to one of their sides so she's always sleeping in one of their rooms the past few days and always makes sure to be around at least one of them, or Cas if he's there.

She still feels incredibly guilty and she knows that isn't going to go away anytime soon, if at all. 

"All right. I'll be back." Dean says, walking in with a bag over his shoulder.

"Wait, where you headed?" Sam asks.

"Washington. I caught a case." Dean informs.

"You want me to come with?" Sam asks.

"Do you want to come?" Dean asks.

"On a hunt? Why wouldn't I?" Sam asks.

"I don't know, man. Cause lately with you, up is down and down is sideways, you know? I-I-- I don't know what you want." Dean says and Sam glares at him. "Okay. You want in? Fine. Sure thing." He pulls a paper out of his jacket and shows it to Sam. "Photo leaked from the crime scene. Girl was murdered in her room, doors were locked, the windows were locked."

"WHo's the wallflower?" Sam asks, referring to the figure in the background of the selfie the girl took.

"Exactly. Best guess-- ghost caught on film. So, you're coming?" Dean asks.

"Does it look like I'm staying?" Sam asks, gathering his stuff.

+++

They get to a diner and find Ed and Harry in a booth. Evie and Sam sit next to Harry as Dean sits next to Ed.

"Ah, the Winchesters. Yay." Harry sarcastically says.

"Says nobody." Ed grumbles.

"Ever." Harry finishes.

"All right, shut up and listen. This is how it's gonna go. You two clowns are gonna get into that mystery machine outside, and you're gonna leave town or I'm gonna put holes in your knees." Dean threatens. The two roll their eyes.

"Can I get you guys anything? Something, uh..."

"Uh, we're ready for the bill." Dean tells the waiter.

"Hey. There's still crud on this plate. Now, hit the sinks and do it right." The boss tells the waiter.

"Sorry, Trey." The waiter apologizes, walking away.

"Ahh, first of all, you guys don't scare us." Harry states.

"Not at all." Ed says.

"Say, hola to my little pistola." Harry says, lifting his shirt to reveal a gun in his waistband.

"Am I supposed to be impressed with that treasure trail or the lady gun you got hiding in your, uh, pants there?" Dean asks.