chapter one

They've only been at Lisa and Ben's for about a week. Dean finally convinced Evie to start sleeping in the bedroom Lisa gave her, but she doesn't fall asleep unless Dean is in there with her. She has dreams of Sam and wakes up crying because he isn't there in real life. Every time she cries, Dean comforts her until she falls back asleep.

Dean is on the computer and it's late at night. The kids and Lisa are asleep. He just sits down after getting some more whiskey when he hears the stairs creak. He looks over and sees Evie walking down with her dog in her hands.

"Evie? Kiddo, what are you doing up?" Dean quietly asks.

"I miss daddy." Evie says, walking over to him.

"I know, shortcake. I know, so do I." Dean tells her, placing her on his lap.

"What are you looking at?" Evie asks.

"Well, I'm trying to see if there's a way we can get your daddy back." Dean says.

"Will it work?" Evie asks.

"Well, I haven't found anything yet. But hopefully when and if I do, hopefully it works." Dean says.

+++

It's the end of summer and they're going back to school shopping.

"Why do I have to go to public school?" Evie asks.

"Because I'm not as smart as your dad to teach you. Besides it would do you some good. You know, meet other kids your age." Dean says.

"I guess." Evie mumbles.

"There is something, though. And you definitely won't like it." Dean tells her.

"What?" Evie asks.

"You can't take your doggy to school." Dean tells her.

"What?" Evie asks, horrified.

"I'm sorry, but stuffed animals aren't usually really allowed in schools." Dean tells her.

"Says who?" Evie asks.

"Well, I don't remember, but I have never seen a kid bring a stuffed animal to school." Dean says.

"But it's mommy's. I need mommy with me." Evie says.

"You can go 8 hours a day, 5 days a week without your mom's dog, kid." Dean says making Evie pout.

+++

It's the first day of school and Dean is trying to get Evie to leave the stuffed dog.

"Evie, your dog could get hurt at school." Dean says.

"Not if he doesn't leave my bag." Evie reasons.

"Evie, it's not happening." Dean states.

"I'm not leaving my doggy!" Evie yells at him.

"Yes, you are." Dean says. "No kid takes their stuffed animal to school."

"I do!" Evie declares.