chapter fifty

Cas called them to help with Claire. They tried to talk to her and they left her in the hospital room for a few minutes, returning to find it empty. Sam and Evie went to her motel room while Dean and Cas went to the bar she was at the previous night.

The door finally opens and Claire walks in to see Sam and Evie sitting at the table.

"Took you long enough." Sam says.

"How did you..." Claire trails off and Sam holds up the postcard she had in the hospital room.

"Also, you checked in under the name Claire Novak. Little pro tip -- use an alias." Sam says.

"Okay." Claire says, starting to pack.

"Claire, we just wanna help." Sam says.

"I didn't ask for your help." Claire bites.

"You know, this is good." Sam says, motioning to her investigation wall. "I was impressed. How did you get the information that..." Claire tosses a book at him that he catches.

"It's mostly empty promises and regret, but... there were enough breadcrumbs to get me here." Claire says.

"How did you get your mom's diary?" Sam asks.

"The motel manager sent mom's stuff to her last known address after she disappeared. It bounced around, eventually found its way to me at one of the foster homes." Claire says.

"You came all this way just to tell her off?" Sam asks.

"You always get along with your mom?" Claire questions.

"She died when I was 2." Evie answers, despite Claire not talking to her.

"Never got the chance to find out. My mom died when I was a baby." Sam says.

"I'm... I'm sorry. I didn't..." Claire trails off, not realizing both of their moms were gone.

"Oh, no, it's okay. I-I got to know her later in life." Sam says, missing Claire's perplexed look. "And, yeah, I suppose we got along okay."

"What?" Claire asks, still confused.

"In this line of work, death isn't always goodbye." Sam says.

Claire looks at Evie, expecting her to say she's seen her mom after her death too.

"She's never come back to life, but I've hallucinated her telling me to kill myself twice." Evie states. Claire gets a half concerned, half horrified look on her face. "I didn't, though." Evie says.

"Yeah. I can see that." Claire mumbles. She turns to Sam, him displaying an awkward smile. "This is different." Claire states. "My mom left me."

""Claire, I'll be home soon. We'll be home soon."" Sam reads. "Doesn't sound like somebody who wanted to abandon you. Did you check her credit cards?"

"They wouldn't send me her records." Claire answers.

"Okay, I know you need to be somewhere far away from all of us, but let me get my laptop. I'll teach you how to hack into her credit card records. It'll help you get a lead on your mom."