chapter twenty-four

It hasn't been too long since Dean went to Purgatory and Sam has stopped hunting. It's nighttime and he's driving and Evie is asleep in the backseat. Sam suddenly slams on the brakes, waking up her up, and she looks around confused and alarmed.

"What's happening?" Evie asks.

"It's okay, baby. Stay in the car." Sam tells her, getting out of the car. She watches as he bends down in front of the car for a few moments. When he stands up, he's holding a dog and he opens the passenger door, setting it in the front seat.

"Did you hit a doggy?" Evie asks.

"Yeah, it'll be okay though, honey." Sam assures. He shuts the door and rushes to the driver's seat and drives to a vet. He gets the dog and Evie follows him inside.

"Help. I need help. The dog needs help." Sam calls.

"That way!" A nurse points in a direction and Sam follows her.

"He just-- he came out of nowhere, right in front of my car." Sam says, lying the dog on the table. "We need a doctor. Are you a doctor?"

"The doctor's coming, sir. But I'm not sure--" Sam cuts her off.

"You're not sure what? This is an animal hospital. You save animals."

"Sir."

"Save this animal!"

"Roberta, can you escort this gentleman and his child out, please?" The vet asks.

"Yes." Roberta nods.

"I did this." Sam says.

"Come on." Roberta leads them out.

"Will the doggy be okay?" Evie asks the nurse.

"We'll find out, sweetie." Roberta gently smiles at her.

~ ~ ~

They're sitting in the waiting room and Evie is asleep on the chair next to an anxious Sam. The vet walks out and Sam stands up.

"He's sustained some serious internal bleeding. There's at least two leg fractures that I can see right now. But with some TLC, he should pull through for me." The vet says.

"Thanks, doctor." Sam sighs in relief.

"You're gonna take the dog?" THe vet asks.

"Look, I-I would. He's... not mine." Sam says.

"He's not anybody's." The vet says.

"I-I spend a lot of time on the road." Sam says.

"Don't you think you're responsible? You have a kid, I'd hope so." The vet slightly jokes.

"Why do you think I brought him here?" Sam asks.

"Roberta, could you hand this man his trophy on his way out, please? Well, maybe if you were such an upstanding guy, you wouldn't have hit him in the first place?"